Coverting older FHC WiFi to match 881W installation config

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

We were upgraded to BT Infinity earlier this year and as a result the VPN etc., was not set up to work with the Pix. It seems the access settings for Europe might be different. I was put in touch with someone, in the UK, who was able to help. Using any PC/Laptop and Teamviewer - free download - connected to the modem/router, he configured the router to communicate with the Pix. Once the router is set up then you can contact the GSD to script the Pix.

I've sent you a PM with the contact details!
sphester

Post by sphester »

[font=&quot]I've had some luck with this issue. I e-mailed the GSC and they were able to remote to 3 of my units with the older pic firewalls and got the following reply which seems reasonable. [/font]
[font=&quot]
[/font]

[font=&quot]“Hello Simon,[/font][font=&quot][/font]
[font=&quot]In response to your email- I’m afraid I went ahead and switched 3 of the sites(Barrow, Blackpool, and Carlisle) to LDS Access, before reading the last part of your message about not switching them until you can arrange a time to change the client FHC PC first. [/font][font=&quot][/font]
[font=&quot]Fortunately, any computers at those sites that are now configured to connect to Moroni or Inerom can still connect to Inerom(The access points at Barrow, Blackpool, and Carlisle are currently broadcasting both LDS Access and Inerom). So 3 out of these 4 sites are now broadcasting LDS Access, with the stock password. Those three sites each have a Pix firewall and 1 Cisco Aironet 1100 access point.”[/font][font=&quot][/font]
[font=&quot]
[/font]
[font=&quot]So From what they have said each of the units should have the SSID LDSaccess broadcast and also still let the older setups of Inerom and Moroni work on the client PC. Just hope they are right or I’ll have 3 FHC calling me to say the internet is not working.
[/font]
[font=&quot]
[/font]
[font=&quot]This just leaves me with one unit on the older settings but no VPN connection available from the GSC to change but I may have this in hand thanks to the contact details from Biggles.
[/font]

[font=&quot]Thanks everyone for the input.
[/font]
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sphester wrote:So From what they have said each of the units should have the SSID LDSaccess broadcast and also still let the older setups of Inerom and Moroni work on the client PC. Just hope they are right or I’ll have 3 FHC calling me to say the internet is not working.

I hope that works out for you. In the past, there have been problems when the GSC tried to leave the Moroni profile in place when adding LDSAccess (see, for example, the thread Moroni vs LDSAccess). But maybe you were blessed to work with a technician who figured out how to configure the Pix and Aironets to support both profiles at the same time.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
sphester

Post by sphester »

Well from what I can tell he has removed the Moroni profile and left LDSaccess and Inerom on the aironet. Never hear of the Inerom profile before I assume it using the older Odyssey software as well.

If it breaks on the FHC PCs it should be a quick fix as they can call the service desk and someone can then talk them through moving to the newer LDSaccess a bit messy but it will force the move over sooner So not all that bad I hope.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Glad to be of service. :-)
sphester

Post by sphester »

Looks like I must not have asked as nicely as Biggles as his contact seemed unwilling to do any direct to help and practically told me to he was only for church use and could not help direct with unit problems. He did offer the following advise which I will check out at some point.

I'm assuming by router he means the BT router.

If the router has been reset at some point, or the PIX has been re-scripted, then this may cause them to stop communicating as initially the devices were set to static IP addresses and we now use DHCP. If you can connect a PC directly to the router and get an IP address, then you know that the router is set to DHCP and you will need to have the PIX re-scripted accordingly. The GSC can do this for you but you will need to do as they suggest and connect directly to the internet and also via a cable to the PIX in order for them to rescript it. If you can’t get an IP address from the Router, then it could be that it is still set to static. You can test this by manually setting the IP address on your computer to 10.193.65.3 with a default gateway of 10.193.65.1. If this allows you access to the internet then you know that the router is set to static. At this point you have a choice, you can either reset the router so that it works with DHCP (you will need to get the internet login and password from your FM), and see if the PIX starts communicating with the router, or again connect as the GSC and have them check to see that the configuration on the firewall is set for static IP as well. If we know for sure that both devices are set in such a way that they should communicate, and there is still an issue, then it may be hardware related. The GSC will make this diagnosis.

Please work with the GSC to come to a resolution on the issues that you have. If there is an issue with the ISP, or replacement hardware is required, then your FM will arrange liaise with the ISP and arrange for any replacement equipment that might be necessary.
sphester

Post by sphester »

My current experience with the GSC is that they are good with the general setups but when it comes to specific setups in countries other than the USA they know very little.

I'm then directed to technical people here in the UK but they just fob me off with we can't help speak to your FM or the GSC.

Why does it have to be so difficult to get simple things fixed and why do some members just keep hiding behind these policies and procedures.

I know of one member who works out of Solihull covering all of MLS and finance for the whole UK and he is always happy to help i can even e-mail direct with out the oh no don't contact me, he never goes oh you have to e-mail this person then that person then finally after 100 people later I get an answer.

How can the church operate this network without technical people here in the UK who understand the local setup who we can be contacted direct if a matter can't be solved by the GSC.

Rant over!
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

sphester wrote: If the router has been reset at some point, or the PIX has been re-scripted, then this may cause them to stop communicating as initially the devices were set to static IP addresses and we now use DHCP. If you can connect a PC directly to the router and get an IP address, then you know that the router is set to DHCP and you will need to have the PIX re-scripted accordingly. The GSC can do this for you but you will need to do as they suggest and connect directly to the internet and also via a cable to the PIX in order for them to rescript it. If you can’t get an IP address from the Router, then it could be that it is still set to static. You can test this by manually setting the IP address on your computer to 10.193.65.3 with a default gateway of 10.193.65.1. If this allows you access to the internet then you know that the router is set to static. At this point you have a choice, you can either reset the router so that it works with DHCP (you will need to get the internet login and password from your FM), and see if the PIX starts communicating with the router, or again connect as the GSC and have them check to see that the configuration on the firewall is set for static IP as well. If we know for sure that both devices are set in such a way that they should communicate, and there is still an issue, then it may be hardware related. The GSC will make this diagnosis.

Please work with the GSC to come to a resolution on the issues that you have. If there is an issue with the ISP, or replacement hardware is required, then your FM will arrange liaise with the ISP and arrange for any replacement equipment that might be necessary.

This is all very well, but if you don't have the necessary cable or adapter. I didn't and couldn't obtain one. Your'e up the creek without a paddle! This is how I ended up talking to the UK person, who resolved my problem very quickly.
sphester

Post by sphester »

Well the only help I was getting is what I've add here and at least its some help. I suppose he could have just not reply at all.

I'm luck in that I have the console cable and plenty of ethernet cables by product of being a network engineer for my day job. The downside is its why I tend to get frustrated as with work things are so different and I have direct access to all the equipment. With this calling I feel like I've got my hands tied behind my back and people are hiding the information I need.

These forums are at least providing some life line. I wonder when if ever the local support pages will be written up it blank at the moment. It quite blank at the moment. https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Europe_area_i ... nternet%29

Well I'm going to do what I can and then if all else fails I'll just inform the FM that it is broke and have him sort it out.
sphester

Post by sphester »

aebrown wrote:I hope that works out for you. In the past, there have been problems when the GSC tried to leave the Moroni profile in place when adding LDSAccess (see, for example, the thread Moroni vs LDSAccess). But maybe you were blessed to work with a technician who figured out how to configure the Pix and Aironets to support both profiles at the same time.
Looks like i was wrong and the changes have broke the wifi well certainly at one unit I've yet to here from the others.

I'm now trying to get the GSC to fix it but its like pulling teeth. They have today said to the member who rang that they need to do a remote desktop session to fix it but this can't be done as the wifi is not working so they said go and buy a ethernet cable to connect directly to the pic. Now trying to get them to just walk the member through the changes over the phone. It can't be that hard. If this fails might just walk him through the changes myself. Will be a bit of guess work I'm sure I'd get there. I mean given the GSC broke it they should be fixing it.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”