SMTP address for Printer

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

crislapi wrote:I have started to notice this argument being used more and more and I would issue a caution on this line of thinking. The only safe conclusion to draw from the church providing printers and copiers is that they intend the devices to be used for printing and copying. Almost any MFP you buy now has extended capabilities like scan to fax, scan to email, scan to folder, etc. I don't think they're against a particularly tech savy person figuring it out and setting it up, but I would be careful in assuming this is the expected office setup.
Crislapi.... you are right of course, I shouldn't necessarily make the assumption, but I guess it was a logical step for me. I messed around with the settings for my ISP SMTP but I'm not all the way there yet...
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

The C$ shares get recreated anytime you reboot the machine. The security of the share is in the admin password (which if left blank disables the share actually).
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

Outbound SMTP over SSL (default port 465) is not blocked at the firewall level. (I know this because my Google-provided email service is fully functional from behind the church firewall when running on my personal computer/email client.)

Some ISPs block Outbound SMTP connections (port 22) that are not to *their* SMTP servers. I'm seeing this less and less nowadays with non-ISP email being more prevalent than ISP email, but it still exists.

If your ISP has an open SMTP relay (i.e. Verizon uses outgoing.verizon.net, and any email from @verizon.net email address does not require authentication), I'd suggest using that first - it would be very easy to configure as it would likely not require a username/password authentication or an account to be maintained.

If the copier supports SMTP over SSL with user/pass authentication, the easiest thing would be to create a generic GMail account and set it up as email account the printer uses to scan-to-email.

As has been said before - I would NOT try to bring up a local SMTP server or relay SMTP through any other machine on the network. You're just asking for breakage (locally) or blockage (from the ISP) or problems with final delivery (destination email server unable to verify the sender/server). Keep it simple - mail between the copier and a highly-reliable Internet mail server.

As far as your question about Church-provided mail servers, I think the church uses Exchange for their mail infrastructure, so it would require a church-issued mail account to authenticate and send mail through that infrastructure. For a local unit, it'd be much easier to use a 3rd party provider like Google.
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

Another consideration for using scan-to-email functionality is that the item scanned can be transmitted over unencrypted networks and viewable by anyone. Using an SSL connection to a SMTP server helps reduce this but when it leaves the SMTP server to other relays it will probably be sent unencrypted. Sensitive documents shouldn't be sent this way.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”