Broadcast Licence to View General Conference on Chapel internet

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
sphester

Post by sphester »

I have some units asking about TV Licences again as conference is coming up.

It seem the area are not going to purchase the licences centrally. What are peoples view or is there a policy document that cover the following question.

Can a unit by there own TV licence from Ward budget funds?

These units have far to travel to see conference and feel the benefits of having it locally would out way the costs. Additionally there are significant cost savings.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

We'll I received this on Feb 22nd from church FM here in the UK:

"For the use of the public airwaves (TV broadcasts) we have the TV license which now we’ve paid will cover all buildings. The amount we pay annually to The Performing Rights Society covers us for live shows (Stage productions in the building with music etc.). If the production doesn’t use anyone else’s copyright then all is fine, if the production uses copyrighted material then a normal chapel is covered for 3 miscellaneous productions per year with a maximum capacity of 100 spectators and a stake centre is covered for 2 productions of live music with 150 spectators and 6 miscellaneous productions with 100 spectators per year. In addition the TV license covers us for all broadcasts whether they are received by TV mast, internet, or satellite etc."

That seems to suggest that we do indeed have the necessary licenses.
sphester

Post by sphester »

My FM group has just confirmed something similar in that the Area has now purchased licences for all the units in our stake. So we are now covered.
stephen500

Post by stephen500 »

sphester wrote:Hi All

I was recently told the following regarding viewing General COnference over the internet in meeting house.

[font=&quot]"With regard to General Conference, we shouldn’t use the internet to show it in meetinghouses, the Church doesn’t hold a licence to broadcast it in this form in meetinghouses. The only reasonable alternative is to travel to the unit with the shortest journey ."[/font]

I would be grateful for any clarification people have on this? I'm a stake tech in the UK and find it hard to believe we need a special licence to view conference on the internet. And if we do then the church best get a licence as having the facility would be a great benefit as mention on the churches on tech web site thus reducing travel for members at a financially difficult time.

Thanks

Simon
As far as I am aware you don't need a tv license to watch a foreign tv broadcast. Only British tv as broadcast and catch up tv. Be careful though as you may lose the satelites that you have.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”