Installation of ceiling mounted 1041, power question

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
rtreeman
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:47 pm

Installation of ceiling mounted 1041, power question

Postby rtreeman » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:01 pm

Porterville Stake Center.JPG
(76.34 KiB) Downloaded 548 times


Hello all,

We have ordered 1041 ap for our meetinghouses and have a question about the power requirement for the AP. For each meetinghouse we will be installing 4 to 6 AP. Here are my questions for pre-installation:

1. Does the power injector need to be plugged into an AC outlet (in the attic space in my case) as close to the AP's as possible?

Or, can I plug the power injector's near the firewall... which may require a long run to the farthest AP?

I have attached a layout of one of our buildings to describe the AP locations. Just needing some help about were the best place to install the power injectors to the AC outlet.

Thanks for the help

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:00 pm

rtreeman wrote:1. Does the power injector need to be plugged into an AC outlet (in the attic space in my case) as close to the AP's as possible?

Or, can I plug the power injector's near the firewall... which may require a long run to the farthest AP?


You can plug the power injector anywhere along the line that is convenient. The power travels just fine along the wire, even at a great distance. You'll run into issues with data with long runs (at about 100 meters) long before you run into power issues.

You just have to be sure that there is no network device (such as a non-PoE switch) between the injector and the access point.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

bradhokanson
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:31 pm
Location: Utah, USA

Postby bradhokanson » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:06 pm

aebrown wrote:You can plug the power injector anywhere along the line that is convenient. The power travels just fine along the wire, even at a great distance. You'll run into issues with data with long runs (at about 100 meters) long before you run into power issues.

You just have to be sure that there is no network device (such as a non-PoE switch) between the injector and the access point.


Also I would suggest you use a Cisco switch purchased from the EMarket for the APs. The 881w has only 4 data ports and we have seen issues with SOHO (Linksys/Netgear, etc) switches between the APs and the 881w preventing the APs from getting the initial configs from the controllers in CHQ.

Your a little heavy on APs, especially if you are using the internal AP on the 881w but this will certainly cover your location.

Brad

rtreeman
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:47 pm

Postby rtreeman » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:53 pm

Brad,

Thank you for quick reply!! I was hopeful that I would not be required to tap into an electrical line near the AP spots. That will make life a lot easier. The AP footprint that I attached is just an initial design, I will perform a survey before we install at the actual locations. We have ordered the Cisco switch's for the buildings as well and that will be helpful for the building with multiple pc's and ap.

Also, Have you had any situations were you had to use shielded Cat5 or Cat6 cable?

Thanks,
Rich

bradhokanson
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:31 pm
Location: Utah, USA

Postby bradhokanson » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:30 pm

rtreeman wrote:Brad,

Thank you for quick reply!! I was hopeful that I would not be required to tap into an electrical line near the AP spots. That will make life a lot easier. The AP footprint that I attached is just an initial design, I will perform a survey before we install at the actual locations. We have ordered the Cisco switch's for the buildings as well and that will be helpful for the building with multiple pc's and ap.

Also, Have you had any situations were you had to use shielded Cat5 or Cat6 cable?

Thanks,
Rich


Our team has not been involved or know of any sites that have had to used shielded cable yet but we are not closely involved in any of the physical aspects of an install just the 881w activation and operations of the device going forward.

Brad

User avatar
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators
Posts: 3132
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Layton, UT

Postby Mikerowaved » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:12 pm

rtreeman wrote:Also, Have you had any situations were you had to use shielded Cat5 or Cat6 cable?

There's rarely any need to use Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) for our needs. It just adds a layer of complexity to the wiring, that unless done properly, can cause ground loops and actually add noise into the system. Standard Cat5e or Cat6 will work perfectly fine. There are situations where you may need to use the more expensive "plenum rated" cable, but your installer should inform you when that's needed.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

MerrillDL
New Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:55 am
Location: Orem, UT - USA

1041 AP's

Postby MerrillDL » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:47 pm

I am installing the 1041 AP's in my stake. In two of my newer buildings, Chapel and cultural hall in the center, classrooms around the perimeter, I the 881w at one end of the building and the 1041 at the other end. I have good to excellent signal at any place in the building.

In the older (1980's circa) Stake Center, the construction is mostly cinderblock. I am using the 881w and three 1041's. This provides good to excellent signal at any place in the building. In this building, in the front (the 881w and 1041) in or near the mechanical room on each side of the chapel. These cover the Bishop's and clerk's offices in both wings, the YW rooms, nursery rooms, chapel and most of the cultural hall.

In the back of the building, hear the hallway at the back of the cultural hall. These two cover the R.S. Room, Primary Room, and Stake Offices, and cultural hall.

There is most overlap in the cultural hall.

I hope this helps.

Doug

harddrive
Member
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:52 pm

Postby harddrive » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:50 am

Rtreeman, I would also look at getting a POE switch instead of having 7 power injectors, with them being huge, in the room with the switch. This would cut down on extra network cable, extra power cables and so forth. I just cleaned out one of my FHC because it had 4 power injectors with a switch, a PIX firewall and the cable modem from our service provider. It was a rats nest in there and for me to determine what might be wrong at one point was a nightmare.

This past weekend one of the POE ports on the switch went down and it was very easy to troubleshoot. Just move the connection to another port and I was back up and running. Didn't need to wait for a power injector to be shipped.

Just my 2 cents worth from a Network Engineer by trade.


Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest