Choices for Connectivity Expansion - Weighing up the Options, thoughts etc.

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
carljokl

Post by carljokl »

The Ward Clerk it seems would be happy to just use dialup to send and receive MLS data.

I have met with the Facilities Manager and with the Clerk and the Stake PFK for a building inspection. The Facilities Manager is going to get a quote for running cabling to the other wing but I suspect that may not be approved due to cost but who knows.

The down side for me if it ends up just being a dialup connection is that it pretty much rules out my being able to provide remote assistance or at least computer based remote assistance. I may still be able to talk through things over the phone. I am hoping that providing technical support is not going to mean lots of driving around the Stake fixing things. The high petrol prices mean that this travel is starting to feel like death by a thousand cuts as it really starts to add up.

As regards meeting house technology in general I am already at a realisation that it may be a hard battle. I face having little or no budget to do anything. This combined with technology being a fairly low priority for the Stake leaders and difficulties with members poorly looking after Church provided equipment or lack of respect for / obedience to Church policy amongst some groups (not all thankfully) does not provide the best circumstances under which to try and improve technology use in the Stake.

For my part I am kept very busy with work and could do without the extra responsibility but must admit the calling did have the appeal of potentially getting the technology use in the Stake working more efficiently in the Stake. Now I am starting to feel a lot of lost enthusiasm which isn't good if I am not even at the point of being called yet. I am just hoping the role can achieve a bit more than just being technical support for the Stake.
There are no problems, only solutions.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”