Cisco 1041 WiFi

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tdjones2000 wrote:I was not expecting that we would be able to configure the 881 or 1041. We do have available PoE switches that will support multiple VLANs, so I wanted to know if the 881 and 1041 would support that as well. We want to place at least 5 APs around the building to provide coverage. If not already done, we will disable sharing on the admin computers. However, I know that does not make them invulnerable to attacks from another computer on the same subnet. Can GSD configure multiple VLANs/subnets on the 881 and 1041?
The GSC can configure VLANs on the 881W. The question is will they? One reason they may not is because it is not a standard configuration. If you have a compelling need, then who knows, they may. Some of us in these forums feel having a subnet for the administrative computers separate from the WLAN subnet is more secure. But the replacement administrative computers running Windows 7 significantly reduces that concern.

If the GSC will not configure multiple VLANs then set up a subnet using another router behind the 881W for the administrative computers to gain the same security that a VLAN would provide. It is more costly and more complex but provides network separation security. The down side to this configuration is supportability. The GSC will not support it when problems arise and your successor may not be technically proficient with networking to troubleshoot issues.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”