connecting to the CfYA LDS teams intranet website

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
stephen500

connecting to the CfYA LDS teams intranet website

Post by stephen500 »

I am installing my first YSA computers for the YSA centre in Chester Ward, England Stake.
I need to install the "cisco anyconnect VPN cilent".
However according to the crib sheets it asks on installation for the
"Center's LDS account user name and password".
I have spoken to the person responsible for the centre "Gordon Smith", but he has no knowledge of the centre's account name or password.
Where can I obtain these?
I plan on installing this Tues 29th March 2011, so any pointers before then would be helpfull.
Bro Sinclair,
butt Stake clerk,
Stake tech specl.
Chester, England Stake.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

stephen500 wrote:I need to install the "cisco anyconnect VPN cilent".

The first I've heard of that. Either this is brand new or they are doing things differently on that side of the pond.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

stephen500 wrote:I am installing my first YSA computers for the YSA centre in Chester Ward, England Stake.
I need to install the "cisco anyconnect VPN cilent".
I am going to make a wild guess that this reference is to the Cisco 881W meetinghouse firewall. Sometimes the term "anyconnect' is used in describing this hardware since any number of client users can be connected to the device.
stephen500 wrote:However according to the crib sheets it asks on installation for the
"Center's LDS account user name and password".
I have spoken to the person responsible for the centre "Gordon Smith", but he has no knowledge of the centre's account name or password.
Where can I obtain these?

If the Cisco 881W is the "cisco anyconnect VPN cilent" device then the setup instructions do include a reference to an LDS Account. That account would be the personal LDS Account for the person setting up the firewall. While the instructions do not mention where it would be used I presume it would be needed at the point in the instructions where the automatic activation should occur but does not. The installer is then directed to the alternate activation site at htttp://firewall.lds.org/.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:I am going to make a wild guess that this reference is to the Cisco 881W meetinghouse firewall.

No, that's not it.

Church employees and other authorized sites do use the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client to connect to the Church's intranet (I've used this VPN client at multiple companies for remotely accessing the company's internal network). I don't know anything about locations called a "YSA Center", but it's certainly plausible that if such a center needs access to systems on the Church's internal network, the AnyConnect VPN Client is exactly the software that would be used. Church employees use their LDS Account as the authentication credentials for the VPN client, so that is entirely consistent with what was reported in the OP.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

OT Note about YSA Centers

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:I don't know anything about locations called a "YSA Center"

YSA Centers are similar to what the US would call an Institute of Religion, combined with a YSA program. They are located mostly in European and Scandinavian countries. There is a reference about three paragraphs up from the end of this biographical article that provides a short description of them.
stephen500

Post by stephen500 »

The Church has once again changed policy and connection to cisco anyconnect vpn client is no longer required.
The YSA center directors now go straight to http://ldsteams.ldschurch.org/org/europ ... fault.aspx and sign on there using the center account id ie "lds\cfya-GBR-Chester" for our center or a different config for another centre. The password is supplied by Area office personal responsible for the young single adult prog in the UK.
cottrells

Post by cottrells »

lajackson wrote:YSA Centers are similar to what the US would call an Institute of Religion, combined with a YSA program. They are located mostly in European and Scandinavian countries. There is a reference about three paragraphs up from the end of this biographical article that provides a short description of them.
Centers for Young Adults (CfYA) are also included in section 16.3.8 of Handbook 2

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”