firewall blocking even church related Youtube videos

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
nicklewis

Post by nicklewis »

Things may have changed since these posts. I have Extended Access here, but all the links provided in this thread are now blocked.
Nick Lewis
Melbourne Ward Clerk
Cocoa Florida Stake
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nicklewis wrote:Things may have changed since these posts. I have Extended Access here, but all the links provided in this thread are now blocked.

In reviewing the thread, I believe all of us reporting being able to access YouTube had General access. Extended Access is more restrictive then General.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:In reviewing the thread, I believe all of us reporting being able to access YouTube had General access.

True, but there's a further restriction: those who can access YouTube not only have General Access, but also have a PIX 501. Those with an ASA 5505 and General Access are blocked.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
carljokl

Post by carljokl »

I am not sure about that as my local meeting house has an ASA 5505 and I was able to access YouTube in the past but I have not tried again recently.
There are no problems, only solutions.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

carljokl wrote:I am not sure about that as my local meeting house has an ASA 5505 and I was able to access YouTube in the past but I have not tried again recently.
If you review the original post of this thread, you'll see that this was indeed a change in policy made around 13 March 2011. So the fact that you could access YouTube in the past matches other people's experience as well. The question is, have you been able to access YouTube on a network protected by an ASA 5505 since that date?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ldsrussp

Post by ldsrussp »

Newly installed 881W firewalls blocks all youtube. See here:

Reason:
Miscellaneous Blocked - This category is filtered. Website Address:http://www.youtube.c om/mormonmessages Access Level:LDS Extended Access

Does this need to be LDS General to allow youtube then?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ldsrussp wrote:Does this need to be LDS General to allow youtube then?

You can try that, but according to some of the posts in this thread, even General blocks YouTube.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
danpass

Post by danpass »

RussellHltn wrote:
ldsrussp wrote: Does this need to be LDS General to allow youtube then?

You can try that, but according to some of the posts in this thread, even General blocks YouTube.

I can confirm that youtube is blocked even with General Access on our ASA 5505 protected meetinghouse network. Prior to the mid-March policy change, we did have youtube access.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

danpass wrote:I can confirm that youtube is blocked even with General Access on our ASA 5505 protected meetinghouse network. Prior to the mid-March policy change, we did have youtube access.
And the wiki confirms at Internet filtering that the change was indeed intentional. That was reiterated in a regional meeting regarding meetinghouse technologies that I attended tonight.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

According to the meeting I attended, it is intentional that YouTube is blocked at all settings.

According to a meeting I attended, for Mormon Messages, what is supposed to happen is when you go to http://www.mormonmessages.com, if it's found that YouTube is blocked, it will switch to another player. However, they admitted it doesn't always work and they need to find out why. I did not ask what other LDS videos should be available that way.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”