firewall blocking even church related Youtube videos

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I went into our FHC a couple of nights ago to test this for myself and found YouTube was wide open. No sign of blocking.

Our center (like most) has the PIX 501.

I say "like most" because the FHCs were the first to be placed on-line and that's what was available then. Newly create FHCs or ones have have had to have their firewalls replaced due to hardware failure could have different units. There's no filtering levels to choose from. That came with the later ASA model.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:YouTube was wide open. No sign of blocking.

Our center (like most) has the PIX 501.

Our FHC with a PIX 501 is also able to access YouTube.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Both the Cisco PIX 501 and Cisco ASA 5505 use the same three firewall filtering levels. I does not make sense that one would not have access to YouTube and others have no problem. It is possible that instead of General Access filtering level that either the LDS Extended Access or LDS Restricted access is the filtering level for the location with the difficulties.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Both the Cisco PIX 501 and Cisco ASA 5505 use the same three firewall filtering levels.

That's not what I remember. The three levels were part of the Meetinghouse Internet program that came years after the FHCs had their PIX501. I suppose it may be possible to re-script a Pix to another filtering level, but I don't remember hearing that being done.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:Both the Cisco PIX 501 and Cisco ASA 5505 use the same three firewall filtering levels. I does not make sense that one would not have access to YouTube and others have no problem. It is possible that instead of General Access filtering level that either the LDS Extended Access or LDS Restricted access is the filtering level for the location with the difficulties.
It is most definitely the case that our Cisco PIX 501 with General Access does not block YouTube, and I also verified that the filtering is working. It is also most definitely the case that our Cisco ASA 5505 with General Access filtering level does block YouTube. I am 100% certain that it does have General Access. That may or may not make sense to some people, but that is indeed the way it is.

My theory is that it is indeed the intention of CHQ that General Access would block YouTube wherever it is functioning, but that the older PIX 501s may need extra manual scripting for the change to be effective.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jworth1

youtube access

Post by jworth1 »

jdlessley wrote:Both the Cisco PIX 501 and Cisco ASA 5505 use the same three firewall filtering levels. I does not make sense that one would not have access to YouTube and others have no problem. It is possible that instead of General Access filtering level that either the LDS Extended Access or LDS Restricted access is the filtering level for the location with the difficulties.

I thought when I set the firewall up that I chose General Access.

Has it always been only a choice between three options or was it extended or restricted?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jworth1 wrote:I thought when I set the firewall up that I chose General Access.

Has it always been only a choice between three options or was it extended or restricted?
The ASA 5505 started out with only LDS Extended Access or LDS Restricted Accessed. At some time later in October 2008 LDS General Access was provided to give nearly the same filtering available in the PIX filtering used in FHCs.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jworth1 wrote:Has it always been only a choice between three options or was it extended or restricted?

IIRC, when it was first announced, it was just extended and restricted. However, it quickly became clear that a option similar/identical to what the FHCs had was needed. "General" came about, but it wasn't as well advertised. You can probably find the details in the forum by going back to the very first thread in this section.

jworth1

Post by jworth1 »

How can I find out what level our ASA 5500 is set at?

I tried to enter under the IP address and figured it would block me.

Thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jworth1 wrote:How can I find out what level our ASA 5500 is set at?

In a browser, if you go to gambling.com (and I'm not telling you anything that isn't already in instructions from the Church), you should get a block message. The block message will include text that says what the filtering level is.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”