Grid Lock on Ordering Church Firewall - Please update Wiki on instructions

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
crees

Grid Lock on Ordering Church Firewall - Please update Wiki on instructions

Post by crees »

TO Church Staff handling Firewalls and the ordering thereof.

Long Story Short.

Our stake is trying to order the church cisco firewall. As indicated in the wiki and instructed by the FM group we have followed the instructions only to find out that we cannot order the firewall it has to be done via the "facilities group by using emarket" stated on the Church store.

We have told this to our FM group yet they still insist that we as the stake have to order it. I got off the phone with the stake clerk and he is going to try again to convince the higher ups that it cant be done. Untill then.......

GRID LOCK

more or less I want to squeek my wheel hoping someone can clarify the proccess and perhaps update the wiki and FM group on the proper proceedure. Hopfully we will get our firewall soon.....

Thanks
aclawson

Ordering a firewall

Post by aclawson »

The last time I ordered one (a couple of months ago) called them up on the 800 number, told them what I wanted, gave them the information they wanted and was done. Try calling in the order instead of using the web to see if that fixes your problem.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aclawson wrote:The last time I ordered one (a couple of months ago) called them up on the 800 number, told them what I wanted, gave them the information they wanted and was done. Try calling in the order instead of using the web to see if that fixes your problem.
Just a month ago, I verified that the Cisco ASA firewall could be ordered at store.lds.org. But indeed, there has been a recent change. When you go the the Electronic Equipment section of the stake Administrative Materials section of store.lds.org, it now says: "To obtain the new Church Managed Cisco 811 Wireless firewall you will need to work with your Facilities Manager to have them order it from LDS eMarket."

It is not uncommon when changes like this are made that the FM groups don't always get the message right away. It took several months to get things sorted out when Meetinghouse Internet connections were first authorized.

So we just need to be patient and let the FM group know of our needs. They will be able to get the accurate information fairly quickly through their contacts.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
busman

Post by busman »

I went to online store to order a firewall today. None shown. I called online store, they said call FM. I called GSD and they said call FM. I called FM and the secty there had just barely heard of it but had no info, but promised to place the order today. Apparently someone tried to short-circuit the announcement process on this change. Normally such announcements to stakes come via Elder Packer or Presiding Bishop.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

The instructions that my FM group received when they transitioned the ownership of meetinghouse Internet is below:

"Please note that a new firewall (Cisco 881W) and a new wireless acess point (Cisco 1041) will be available through e-market worldwide on February 1, 2011. We strongly recommend that FM Groups and local units defer new Meetinghouse Internet installations until after the new firewall becomes available."

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”