adding another wireless access point or repeater

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jworth wrote:Thanks for the good instructions.

With a previous comment from someone, it won't be much further of a cable run just go back the the ASA 5505 firewall and use the PoE port there thus saving the added cost of buying the power injector.

By doing this, I underdtand that I should give the Engenius device a static IP address of the next available after the WRT160n and change the channel to say 11 and 6 on the WRT160n with both of themusing the same SSID.

Sorry to ask so many questions, just want to cut down on my possibilities of problems.
That sounds like a simple, effective, and good solution.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

jworth wrote:Thanks for the good instructions.

Sorry to ask so many questions, just want to cut down on my possibilities of problems.
Don't be sorry about asking question, because the more you know going in the quicker and easier it will be to complete the process.
jworth-p40

Post by jworth-p40 »

Finally, I had the time to install this engenius device and it worked like a charm! I had already set it up to work with a static IP address behind the firewall and all I had to do was to mount it and plug in the CAT5 cable I had previously run a few weeks back.

I have learned so much by being part of this online sharing of knowledge on how to incorporate technology into our church callings.

Thanks again for all the help.

Jeff
jworth-p40

Post by jworth-p40 »

Yea, it works like a charm.

I did make a bracket for it so I could suspend it below the drop ceiling in the hallway outside the RS room. I figured the less metal or concrete block wall the signal had to travel through, the better.

And that PoE, that saved me even more work!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jworth wrote:I did make a bracket for it so I could suspend it below the drop ceiling in the hallway outside the RS room.
You didn't have any problems getting approval from the FM group to do this? In the past the FM managers were operating under an FM policy to discourage such things to avoid interior building esthetic distractions which may not promote an environment that invites the Spirit. If there has been a move to accomodate these exceptions this would be new.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”