CISCO ASA 5505 config and license

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
jgillespie
Location: US, VA, Fairfax (Fairfax Ward, Annandale Virginia Stake)

CISCO ASA 5505 config and license

Post by jgillespie »

I have read the installation guide...should I assume that any configuration change not expressly directed is forbidden?

Is it permissible to configure additional VLANs on the 5505 security appliance?

Which license is purchased for the Church managed security appliances (X-users or unlimited, security plus included)?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

By in large, it's a box. You plug it in and do what Global Help Desk tells you to do. If you need something, like more licenses to connect to the Internet, you need to work though GHD.

If you have access to configure it, it's only to get it going to the point that GHD can take over.

I think they'll work with you if you want things like static IPs for servers and stuff, but there's a good chance they'll say "no" if it involves the firewall setting. I think you'd have to make an real good case for more VLANs.

Getting specific URLs approved is a different matter.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Just as Russell said, the global service center must make all configuration changes. When you first set up the device you may think you can do anything you want because you have momentary access. If the settings are changed from what is standard you will be asked to set them in accordance with the instructions. If the technician can gain remote access with the configuration you have set up he will make sure the rest of the configuration settings are standard and may undo what you have done.

Just follow the setup instructions and ask for configuration changes after the box is activated.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”