Is wireless internet approved?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
amatt76

Is wireless internet approved?

Post by amatt76 »

I'm the District Clerk and at one time we were told that wireless internet access in the Church was not approved but I see a lot of people talking about it here. Is it approved if we have it secured and only certain people getting on?
Thank,
Aaron Matthews
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

amatt76 wrote:I'm the District Clerk and at one time we were told that wireless internet access in the Church was not approved but I see a lot of people talking about it here. Is it approved if we have it secured and only certain people getting on?
I'm not sure who might have told you that, but the decision whether to have wireless Internet access rests with the stake president (or district president in your case). There is certainly no Church policy against it.

It definitely has to be secured. See this post from a Church employee for some details (but read the whole thread). Again, the stake/district president determines the policy for who would have the security key, but it should certainly not be wide open.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

amatt76 wrote:I'm the District Clerk and at one time we were told that wireless internet access in the Church was not approved
I have no doubt that that was the policy at one time. But times change. Alan has pointed you to current information.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

amatt76 wrote:I'm the District Clerk and at one time we were told that wireless internet access in the Church was not approved but I see a lot of people talking about it here. Is it approved if we have it secured and only certain people getting on?
The policy for the United States and Canada that permits internet use is found in the August 8, 2008, Broadband Internet Services in Meetinghouses letter. Further guidance and information is found at the Introduction to Meetinghouse Internet page at lds.org.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”