TM Dashboard Updates

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
lajackson
Community Moderators

TM Dashboard Updates

Post by lajackson »

When you install and activate a new firewall, how long should it take for the TM Dashboard to update? This assumes, of course, that I am able to sign into the site, which is a different and fascinating issue.
Biggles

Re: TM Dashboard Updates

Post by Biggles »

In my experience 30 minutes tops. Usually quicker. This assumes that any firmware updates have been carried out before activation.

I’ve adopted the practice of doing firmware updates, usually at home, on the MX64 and MR33 devices. This way the devices are turned off and this effectively finishes the firmware update process. When I haven’t done this procedure, inevitably any devices especially the older WAP’s don’t get recognised, until the system is rebooted.

I hope my explanation makes sense.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Biggles wrote:I hope my explanation makes sense.
It does. In my case, the FM Group reports a new firewall is installed, registered, and operating, and they have closed the work order. But I cannot yet see that at the TM site. Later today, perhaps.
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

Firewall activation takes place in TM, so if it's activated to the location/building correctly it will show immediately. If it does not show in TM where you expect to see it then the firewall is probably not activated to the location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

nmecantwin73 wrote:Firewall activation takes place in TM, so if it's activated to the location/building correctly it will show immediately. If it does not show in TM where you expect to see it then the firewall is probably not activated to the location.
Good point!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nmecantwin73 wrote:If it does not show in TM where you expect to see it then the firewall is probably not activated to the location.
Just guessing, but I wouldn't think that non-agent stakes would have access to that location in TM. So, it's possible that your stake is not considered the agent stake for that location. That would be an FM database issue.

If you can edit the rooms of that location in the calendar, then you are the agent stake.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

nmecantwin73 wrote:Firewall activation takes place in TM, so if it's activated to the location/building correctly it will show immediately. If it does not show in TM where you expect to see it then the firewall is probably not activated to the location.
I guess I will have to go there in the morning to get it done right. I wonder where they activated it? The old lightning-struck firewall is still showing as offline for that location.
russellhltn wrote:Just guessing, . . .
My building, my stake. I was out of town during the lightning storm so the FM Group offered to get the meetinghouse online before I returned. That was three weeks ago. The GSC ruled that the first two replacement firewalls were dead on arrival, and they made their third attempt this morning.

It will be interesting to see what I actually find tomorrow. Doesn't the GSC usually make you tell them where you are installing a new firewall? Or were they able to skip that step in TM?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:It will be interesting to see what I actually find tomorrow. Doesn't the GSC usually make you tell them where you are installing a new firewall? Or were they able to skip that step in TM?
FM installed all of ours, so, I wasn't a part of that. It looks to me like all you need is TM to install a firewall. There's a "Add Firewall" button on each location.

Sure seems odd that two Firewalls were DOA. You do have to be patient to wait for them to do their thing. If they have to download something, it could take awhile.

I'm guessing the surge came in though the modem. It might be wise to check into a surge protector that protects the power and however the modem connects to the server (be it coax cable or telephone line).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

lajackson wrote: My building, my stake. I was out of town during the lightning storm so the FM Group offered to get the meetinghouse online before I returned. That was three weeks ago. The GSC ruled that the first two replacement firewalls were dead on arrival, and they made their third attempt this morning.
It is very unusual to have two new DOA firewalls. I would suspect the modem or the cabling (before and/or after the modem) may have been affected by lightning, too, like russellhltn mentioned.
lajackson wrote:Doesn't the GSC usually make you tell them where you are installing a new firewall? Or were they able to skip that step in TM?
The firewall activation process in TM requires selecting a location regardless of who does the activation.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

nmecantwin73 wrote:It is very unusual to have two new DOA firewalls.
Indeed it is. It was a first for the FM Group, but the GSC gave them the instruction to return the firewalls and sent another one because the modem and cabling had already been replaced.
nmecantwin73 wrote:The firewall activation process in TM requires selecting a location regardless of who does the activation.
I just returned from the meetinghouse. The GSC would not tell me how the FM Group got the firewall working, but they were able to find it attached to the network, retired our old firewall (fortunately I still had the serial number), and activated the new firewall in its place. They also set up Port 3 for the Family History Center, which had not been done.

Unfortunately, I did not scrape the provider page beforehand, so we lost the account number, phone number, and pin number for the Internet provider. But I just see that as another opportunity for the FM Group to shine.

I could tell that my helper at the GSC really wanted to tell me what the FM Group had done, and I gave him several opportunities to do so, but I did not press the matter. Discretion is the better part of valor. He did well and we are back in business again. But it was obvious that he was quite tickled with what had originally been done.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”