access to wireless behind firewall

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
brianblank

I am looking at connecting wireless on the outgoing side as well.

Post by brianblank »

I am thinking connecting a wireless router behind the ASA _could_ expose the ASA if the wireless side were compromised. If I connect the clerk computers then the ASA, then a wireless, then the broadband link, is that a problem?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

BrianBlank wrote:I am thinking connecting a wireless router behind the ASA _could_ expose the ASA if the wireless side were compromised. If I connect the clerk computers then the ASA, then a wireless, then the broadband link, is that a problem?
Yes, that is definitely a problem, since anyone that connects to the wireless router would then be connected to the Internet without going through the ASA firewall. That is contrary to policy (and needlessly exposes any computer connected this way to all sorts of bad stuff).

Instead, the only thing connected to the broadband router should be the ASA firewall. Then you can connect anything (including a wireless router) to the ASA and everything should have the protection of the firewall.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BrianBlank wrote:I am thinking connecting a wireless router behind the ASA _could_ expose the ASA if the wireless side were compromised.

Expose it how? I believe it's still password protected.

If you're using a Wireless with a built-in router, there's ways of configuring it so that no one on the wireless can talk to anything but the Internet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”