access to wireless behind firewall

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
jworth-p40

Post by jworth-p40 »

jdlessley wrote:Once you have talked to Mikerowaved on the telephone we would like to hear the end result, or how you ended up solving the problem.You mention the WRT150N and also a router. What hardware you have in your network and how they are all linked together is not clear. After reading the thread from the beginning I am getting that you have at least three devices that have routing/DHCP capabilities - the DSL modem/router, the Cisco ASA 5505 firewall and the WRT150N wireless router. In the quote above you mention a possible fourth router. Is there another router in your network setup? The Cisco ASA 5505 is the only device that should be configured to function as a DHCP router. Any of the other DHCP capable devices should have this function disabled.

Sorry for the confusion. All there is is a Verizon modem/wireless router which I have disabled, the ASA 5500 and the WRT150N.

To summurize, the only way that I can get into the WRT150N to change any settings is to do a hard reset on it by pushing the button and disconnecting and reconnecting the power then disconnect the cable coming from the ASA 5500 and use a cable from a port on the WRT150N to a laptop where I can get into it using the standard 192.168.1.1.

I make all my changes by disabling the DHCP, and assign it a static adddress one up from the 10.217.12.225 of the ASA with all the correct subnet and default gateway addresses, and enable the encryption again.

I should be able to do this wirelessly even though the system does work with good connectivity.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

jdlessley wrote:Once you have talked to Mikerowaved on the telephone we would like to hear the end result, or how you ended up solving the problem.
I got Jeff going via phone just now. The problem was the router is pretty advanced with an extensive setup menu, so it was just a matter of setting the 10.x.x.x IP address in the right spot. Once that was accomplished, he was off and running.

Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jworth-p40

Post by jworth-p40 »

Thanks again, Mike for your help. It was just that little mistake that caused it not to work.
jworth-p40

Post by jworth-p40 »

So, if I needed to add another wireless access point (or router) to this system, would I just assign it the next IP addresss (10.217.12.227) and give it a different password to login as admin from a computer connected to the second wireless device before connecting it to the first wireless device?

Concrete walls sure put a stop to any good type of coverage area!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jworth wrote:So, if I needed to add another wireless access point (or router) to this system, would I just assign it the next IP addresss (10.217.12.227) and give it a different password to login as admin from a computer connected to the second wireless device before connecting it to the first wireless device?
That should work. Although I'm not sure why you'd want a different admin login. Perhaps to make sure you're trying to admin the right AP?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Yeah, and if you use the same SSID and WPA Key (or "pass phrase", as some wireless vendors call it) for all your WAPs, users should have easy access wherever they are in the building.

As far as the Admin password for accessing the setup GUI, I always do like Russell suggests and use the same one for all my devices. Easy to pass on for the next guy to maintain.
jworth-p40

Post by jworth-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:That should work. Although I'm not sure why you'd want a different admin login. Perhaps to make sure you're trying to admin the right AP?

That is exactly the reason. I wouldn't think it would work if all of the devices had the same IP address.
jworth-p40

Post by jworth-p40 »

Mikerowaved wrote:Yeah, and if you use the same SSID and WPA Key (or "pass phrase", as some wireless vendors call it) for all your WAPs, users should have easy access wherever they are in the building.

As far as the Admin password for accessing the setup GUI, I always do like Russell suggests and use the same one for all my devices. Easy to pass on for the next guy to maintain.

Yes, that would make things easier in that sense.

So, the SSID, WPA key, admin password can all be the same on both WAPs as long as they are assigned a different IP address, correct?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

jworth wrote: So, the SSID, WPA key, admin password can all be the same on both WAPs as long as they are assigned a different IP address, correct?
That's correct.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jworth wrote:That is exactly the reason. I wouldn't think it would work if all of the devices had the same IP address.

You can't have duplicate IP addresses. But the question was why the separate Admin passwords?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”