Seeking advice for "online only" broadcasts

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
daryldarly

Seeking advice for "online only" broadcasts

Post by daryldarly »

First I am a new STS. Second I am concerned that all 3 of our stake buildings use Wireless ISPs and some of the broadcasts from salt lake are online only. For example this Thursday "2019 Temple and Family History Leadership Instruction" FEBRUARY 28, 2019 is online only broadcast.

I am trying to prepare for this broadcast but have concerns the WISP may be unreliable during the event. Therefore I ask what is everyone doing for a backup option if they also have WISP.

I'd love to disable the wireless during the meeting but there isn't a wired network connection in the chapel to feed the stream.

I'd love to use my cell phone as a backup hotspot if the WISP fails, but I don't have hotspot enabled plan and don't feel right about paying for it only to cover church events.

I'd love to have the stake purchase a backup cellular hotspot device for these events but that would be costly monthly to just have in case of WISP issues.

So I ask how do we as the STS's ensure good connectivity and provide for backup should the ISP at the building go down during a online only broadcast?

Daryl
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Seeking advice for "online only" broadcasts

Post by Mikerowaved »

daryldarly wrote:I'd love to disable the wireless during the meeting but there isn't a wired network connection in the chapel to feed the stream.
Fixing this is what I would look into first. In one building I had to run a 100' CAT5 cable down the hall from the nearest wall jack (clerk's office) to put the notebook PC & projector on a wired network. Only then can you shut down the WiFi.

For the long term, work with your PFR and see if the FM Group can wire up a few LAN jacks in key locations.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:
daryldarly wrote:I'd love to disable the wireless during the meeting but there isn't a wired network connection in the chapel to feed the stream.
Fixing this is what I would look into first.
I'll second this. My FM installed a jack by the pulpit in all the buildings.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
daryldarly

Post by daryldarly »

So prior to posting I surveyed the chapel for a Ethernet port and found a RJ45 port in the pulpit/audio controls, but assumed this is a diagnostic port for the audio system. Is this (attached pic) a Ethernet port or diagnostic port.
Attachments
20190226_193141.jpg
(4.29 MiB) Not downloaded yet
20190226_193144.jpg
(3.73 MiB) Not downloaded yet
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

daryldarly wrote:Is this (attached pic) a Ethernet port or diagnostic port.
That should be an Ethernet port on your meetinghouse network. Plug in a laptop and see if you are able to connect to the Internet.
daryldarly

Post by daryldarly »

lajackson wrote: That should be an Ethernet port on your meetinghouse network. Plug in a laptop and see if you are able to connect to the Internet.
Excellent I will verify it tonight. Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

daryldarly wrote:So prior to posting I surveyed the chapel for a Ethernet port and found a RJ45 port in the pulpit/audio controls, but assumed this is a diagnostic port for the audio system. Is this (attached pic) a Ethernet port or diagnostic port.
While I have seen some sound systems with network capability, I highly doubt they would bring the line out to the pulpit. I'm pretty sure that's Ethernet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”