Phone has no internet access

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
cragunspencer

Phone has no internet access

Post by cragunspencer »

I have an unlocked Google Pixel on Verizon Wireless and since moving to Utah from out east I have been unable to have internet access on the LDSAccess wifi. In both my local building and in the nearby stake center my phone is able to connect successfully but it says no internet access. My father has the exact same model phone and has had no issues. Even after forgetting and re-adding the network, restarting my phone and even doing a factory reset I still am not able to use the internet on church wifi. How can I fix this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Phone has no internet access

Post by russellhltn »

Are you running a VPN or a static DNS on the phone? They might be blocked by the church firewall.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cragunspencer

Post by cragunspencer »

I am not using a VPN and my phone is set to dhcp mode and is using the dns provided by the church
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd suggest contacting Pixel support. The fact your father's works suggests it's something unique to your phone. Even though you've done a factory reset, as soon as you log on with your google account, your old settings and apps will be re-applied.

I do know the church network is filtered, and other DNS servers are blocked. VPNs are likely blocked as well. As for your old ward, they may have been running a legacy system that wasn't as restrictive.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

For what it's worth, I have an original Pixel, and it's working fine in the meeting house with mobile data turned off. I know our Network is current with the new firewall and APs.

I'd take a hard look at any security apps on your phone. Particularly ones that promise secure web browsing. It may be doing its magic via VPN or DNS.

You also might want to ask others about how good the network is. In some buildings the network is overwhelmed on Sunday.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”