Newly Activated MR33 not assigned IP address

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
lajackson
Community Moderators

Newly Activated MR33 not assigned IP address

Post by lajackson »

We activated four Meraki MR33 access points today and one of them shows in Technology Manager as not having an assigned IP address. The other three appear okay.

Do we need to disconnect that one AP and try activating it again, or is TM not showing the correct information?
Biggles

Re: Newly Activated MR33 not assigned IP address

Post by Biggles »

Has this resolved itself?
I have read somewhere that it can take up to 24 hours for AP's to get recognised by the firewall and thus TM.

Some to things to try, if it hasn't.
1/. Power system down for 30 seconds, or so.
2/. Remove and re activate (TM) MR33 as you alluded to above.
3/. To rule out (If practical) Remove from TM, then try MR33 in another building. To check if unit is faulty.
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

It shouldn't take 24 hours for the Meraki firewall/TM to recognize the AP -- at most 5-10 minutes.

Other things to try:
1- Press and hold reset button on AP for five seconds (keep connected to power and network).
2- Replace the power injector with new version if it's the old one that powered the old AP.
3- Move AP closer to firewall to rule out distance issues.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Biggles wrote:Has this resolved itself?
No. But you and nmecantwin73 have provided some excellent suggestions that are appreciated and that we will try today. Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I seem to remember seeing one of my APs like that. But it seemed to be functional, so I left it alone. It resolved itself with no action on my part. (I can't say but what someone else didn't do something.)

I'll take a wild guess that the AP was functioning under an old IP assigned before the firewall was reset, so it wasn't in the DHCP list. Once it renewed its lease, then it showed up.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I'll take a wild guess that the AP was functioning under an old IP assigned before the firewall was reset, so it wasn't in the DHCP list. Once it renewed its lease, then it showed up.
I have done everything suggested short of removing the AP and trying another building. You suggest it might be functioning under an old IP assigned before the firewall was reset.

Do I need to reboot the firewall? And I cannot find a way to do that any longer in TM. It's not the same as a Configuration Refresh, is it?

And while it appears that everything is okay according to the lights on the AP, it is not working as an access point. I cannot connect to it, and if I turn off the other three APs in the building, there is no longer any WiFi.

I think the FM Group is going to have to resolve this one. We had trouble with this AP position when we were using the old APs, but they finally got it working. They solved it by putting a newer AP in the position.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Another thought, can you see the MAC address, in TM, for the faulty AP?

If you can, that implies for whatever reason, that the activation process has failed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Do I need to reboot the firewall?
It wouldn't hurt to power cycle it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

MAC addresses should show in TM for all AP devices, regardless of activation status.

No, there is not a way to reboot the firewall in TM. You would need to be on-site and physically disconnect the power to the firewall.

When/if you do, try first disconnecting the AP from the network and also remove it from power supply, and remove it in TM, then power-cycle the firewall. Once the firewall is back up and working, re-connect the AP power and network connection and add it back in TM.

If still no IP address, the FM may need to get involved. If another AP is available, just swap it out and see if you get the same result.
This AP could then be tested in another building, as Biggles stated earlier, to rule out being a bad firewall.
Last edited by nmecantwin73 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lajackson wrote:We had trouble with this AP position when we were using the old APs, but they finally got it working. They solved it by putting a newer AP in the position.
I wonder if you have a physical wiring issue going to this AP. Do you have access to a cable tester, such as THIS one?

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”