Filtering Options

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
craiggsmith

Filtering Options

Post by craiggsmith »

I implemented the strict filtering policy to try to achieve usable bandwidth for church purposes but immediately received complaints from bishoprics regarding lack of access to email and cloud storage. Also, the firewall didn't return a page with any sort of message, they just received an access error.

So I changed the filter to moderate, but I'm skeptical that it will result in much improvement, as it only blocks app downloads/updates. With my kids the biggest usage of data is social media, particularly snapchat and instagram (do they really need to send such high-res pictures?), as well as audio streaming and video calling. I would assume the latter two aren't as much of an issue at church though. I know the Church can't be in the business of accommodating every exception request, but is there a reasonable compromise that you think would be practical to implement?

Is there a way to implement filtering based on firewall port? If it could only affect wifi and not hard-wired clerk computers it would be significantly better, although still not ideal.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Filtering Options

Post by bartj »

If there are specific applications or domains you feel should be blocked/unblocked on any given filtering policy you can provided that feedback in TM for review - https://www.lds.org/help/support/meetin ... k?lang=eng. Not all requests will be approved but all will be reviewed.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I attempted to change the firewall back to a different setting but it is not taking effect. I tried both Moderate and Managed, twice, and it still filters at Strict. Support rebooted the firewall as well to no avail.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bartj »

It looked like one of your firewalls was stuck on strict. I have corrected this.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks!
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”