Chromecast connected to wifi, but not interacting with devices

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
BrendaWagner

Chromecast connected to wifi, but not interacting with devices

Post by BrendaWagner »

I understand some buildings are able to use Chromecast so we purchased one for our building. While setting it up it connected to the building wi-fi and recognized my phone as being on the same wi-fi network. However, it said the router settings would not allow the devices to interact. I have attached a picture of the steps it gave to fix the problem. I spoke with our STS and he said he didn't know how to fix it. Can anyone tell us how to fix this? Do we need to talk to our FM?

Picture text:
Step 1: Disable Access Point/AP isolation, also known as Client isolation or guest mode, on your router
- Your wi-fi network configuration preventsdevices from communicating with Chromecast. In order to resolve this issue, you will need to disable AP (access point) isolation, also known as client isolation, on your router. Please refer to your router documentation to learn how to disable AP isolation.
- If you do not have access to your router settings, or if you are attempting to connect theough a guest, hotel or public network with AP/client isolation, you will be unable to set up your Chromecast.
- If you are attempting to connect through a wi-fi extender, please check your extender settings. You need to disable SP isolation on your wi-fi extender before setting up Chromecast to work with your wi-fi network.

Step 2: Enable UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) also known as Mulitcast on your router.
- UPnP (Universal Plug and Play), also known as multicast, allows for the discovery of UPnP enabled devices on the same wi-fi network.
- You will need to enable the UPnP in your router settings. Pleae refer to your router manufacturer's documentation to learn how to enable UPnP on your router.
Attachments
Chromecast router fix steps.jpg
(285.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Chromecast connected to wifi, but not interacting with devices

Post by lajackson »

This will be tricky, since local stakes are not able to change settings on the Church-maintained firewall/router.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lajackson wrote:This will be tricky, since local stakes are not able to change settings on the Church-maintained firewall/router.
Very true. Even worse, the church will NOT consider changing the settings for any individual firewall. It would make it far too complicated to roll out new firmware updates. In other words, I hope you have a good return policy for your Chromecast device.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrendaWagner

Post by BrendaWagner »

Mikerowaved wrote:
lajackson wrote:This will be tricky, since local stakes are not able to change settings on the Church-maintained firewall/router.
Very true. Even worse, the church will NOT consider changing the settings for any individual firewall. It would make it far too complicated to roll out new firmware updates. In other words, I hope you have a good return policy for your Chromecast device.
I understand they won't make firewall changes. Why are there posts about others being able to use Chromecast? Don't we all have the same settings? If I must return the Chromecast how do we help teachers connect devices that only allow casting?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not sure how the network can prevent two items on the same WiFi network from interacting. It may be that the system wants to "phone home" and is getting blocked.

Those who are successful, may be using some kind of point-to-point wireless and not using the meetinghouse network.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

BrendaWagner wrote:Why are there posts about others being able to use Chromecast? Don't we all have the same settings? If I must return the Chromecast how do we help teachers connect devices that only allow casting?
Beginning at this post and that post and earlier in each of those threads, there may be some clues as to how they are doing it.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

My stake purchased a Chromecast for each meetinghouse in the stake earlier this year. I was able to get it to work when I was the only person in the building, but not while any number of other Wi-Fi users occupied the building. So for now, it just sits on the shelf. I wasn't streaming a video. I had downloaded a video to my phone, and then cast it from my phone to the Chromecast.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I was able to get it to work when I was the only person in the building, but not while any number of other Wi-Fi users occupied the building.
You might try it again after the Cisco APs have been replaced. It might have been something to do with the number of connections that AP could support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

drepouille

Post by drepouille »

When other members were in the meetinghouse, and I cast a video from my phone to the Chromecast, it looked more like a buffering issue, rather than a connection issue. I certainly hope that casting a video that has already been downloaded does not require any external internet packets. The casting should all be done within the LAN, and not require any WAN traffic.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:When other members were in the meetinghouse, and I cast a video from my phone to the Chromecast, it looked more like a buffering issue, rather than a connection issue. I certainly hope that casting a video that has already been downloaded does not require any external internet packets. The casting should all be done within the LAN, and not require any WAN traffic.
But Chromecasting still requires a connection between your phone and the TV set - which I believe requires the services of the AP. If the AP is saturated with connections, that may be what's causing the problem. When the new APs roll out, that may fix your problem.

You might also look at the WiFi channels being used. It might also be that another AP is on that channel and the combined traffic is overloading it. Espeically if someone brings in an older devices that forces the channel to drop to an older standerd with a lower thoughput rate. Not much you can do about channels since the APs pick it themselves, but it would give you some hints.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”