Technology Manager - Update Message

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Technology Manager - Update Message

Post by bartj »

If the satellite receiver is associated to the property correctly in TM you should not have to provide a serial number for encrypted broadcasts. Connecting the receiver to the internet has nothing to do with authorizing sites for encrypted broadcasts.

Your FM has not heard about this because the documentation hasn't been completed. They will be informed this is available soon.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

The great thing about being able to monitor signal strength is to be sure the dish did not get knocked the least bit out of kilter, while they are large and heavy and no easily moved, a heavy windstorm or strong thunderstorm can 'push' the receiver just enough in the slightest way to weaken the signal. Leaf debris will do the same thing although an event happening at near the same time as an event i far less likely.

A less obvious and uncommon problem but does happen is snow. When snow gets on the dish it scatters the signal and the dish has to be swept out, this will trap that before it becomes a problem as it will catch the signal being sent is slightly weaker as snow starts to collect.

We have the matter fo I think 1982 or so in the early days of the Church network, a snowstorm was in progress during April conference that year and those of us away from Salt Lake saw the picture worsen, the snow filled up the transmission point. This was actually acknowledged over the pulpit the very next session.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Does anyone have these instructions they'd be willing to share so I can set mine up now that FM has run my new cable?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:Does anyone have these instructions they'd be willing to share so I can set mine up now that FM has run my new cable?
PM bartj.

It would be a lot simpler if the receivers would do DHCP. But for some odd reason, they don't. Or, at least I can't find the setting. As it is, you have to put the static IP in three places - the receiver, the firewall (to reserve/document it) and TM.

Oh, and they go in the FAC zone, not the usual USER or SP zone.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bartj »

johnshaw wrote:Does anyone have these instructions they'd be willing to share so I can set mine up now that FM has run my new cable?
I just sent them to you. Thanks!
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bartj »

PM bartj.

It would be a lot simpler if the receivers would do DHCP. But for some odd reason, they don't. Or, at least I can't find the setting. As it is, you have to put the static IP in three places - the receiver, the firewall (to reserve/document it) and TM.

Oh, and they go in the FAC zone, not the usual USER or SP zone.
The receiver doesn't not support DHCP. You are correct, right now the documentation does direct you to put the receiver in three places - twice in TM and once in the receiver. Long-term we'd like to reduce TM to one entry but we're not there yet.

This does go in the FAC zone, this is the correct location for this type of device.
Last edited by russellhltn on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix broken quote tag
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Instructions are quick and easy - I had a bit of difficulty setting the receiver manually but that's because my satellite cabinet has one of those old 4 inch TV's and the menu was a bit hard to read, but I pulled my handcart up rocky ridge and finished the setup.

With the Firewall only having a single port for the Facilities zone, I had to put in another switch because FM already had something plugged into that port in order to install multiple devices.

One thing that might be an improvement in the documentation is a validation of what pre-existed the work being done. I took note of the previous Facility zone device (in fact I went ahead and Assigned the IP) and when I was done I made sure that it was responding to pings after I had unplugged it from the router to plug in the switch.
SUWS-FAC-IPAssign.png
(62.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:With the Firewall only having a single port for the Facilities zone, I had to put in another switch because FM already had something plugged into that port in order to install multiple devices.
I'm been meaning to give feedback on in the instructions. The biggest one is how far you want to go down the rabbit hole in dealing with network connections. Part of the instructions seems to assume you have only one receiver and nothing plugged into the FAC zone, while other parts seem to think there might be other devices out there. I don't think any mention was made about multiple receivers. Anyone in North America that has a language need other than English/Spanish is going to have at least 2. My stake has 4.

Part of me wants to simplify it and just say "plug it into the FAC zone", but another part tells me that not everyone understands the network. And even if you do add all that, there's a possibility that someone has a manged switch so there could be other things in the FAC zone without anything plugged into that port. By the time you finish adding that, you've written the meetinghouse networking manual that has the receiver as an appendix. ;)

Outside of that, the instructions are clear enough. At least for someone with basic idea of how to get from point A to point B as far as network cabling/switches.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
fetch0000

Post by fetch0000 »

The instructions for setting up the satellite receiver for communication with Technology Manager are included in this post. Enjoy!
Attachments
1_article_mhtechsite_SatelliteReceiverRemoteMonitoring.pdf
(589.27 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Not to mention, even, that the rack I was working with has another Ethernet hooked into the rack system, it appears. A second IP, plugged into Ethernet 2.

I agree the install doc, available at clerk support.lds.org, could use a little extra nuance.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”