mls.lds.org

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
dkcook2-p40
New Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

mls.lds.org

Postby dkcook2-p40 » Tue May 26, 2009 5:19 pm

Hello,

We're bringing a building up on a DSL connection and I was reading through the 5505 installation guide and it mentions that MLS computers (clerk's computers) should be updated at mls.lds.org. A couple of questions:

1) I thought the clerks computers were updating through dial-up previously and are already up to date. Is there additional software that is needed at mls.lds.org when you go to DSL?

2) I'm the stake technology specialist should I have a password for our units to mls.lds.org. How do I get the password or reset the password?

thanks, Dave

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20723
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Tue May 26, 2009 5:25 pm

dkcook2 wrote:We're bringing a building up on a DSL connection and I was reading through the 5505 installation guide and it mentions that MLS computers (clerk's computers) should be updated at mls.lds.org.


I'm trying to think what that might be. I know you had to be at a certain version of MLS to use broadband. You also needed to have certain security software installed as a matter of policy.


dkcook2 wrote:1) I thought the clerks computers were updating through dial-up previously and are already up to date.


Only MLS itself gets updated. Not much else. That includes (not) updating the virus signatures.


dkcook2 wrote:2) I'm the stake technology specialist should I have a password for our units to mls.lds.org. How do I get the password or reset the password?


Yes, you should. If you read though the messages in MLS on the stake machine, you should find it. Or ask the stake clerk to do it for you.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

dkcook2-p40
New Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Update

Postby dkcook2-p40 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:18 am

RussellHltn wrote: Only MLS itself gets updated. Not much else. That includes (not) updating the virus signatures..........Yes, you should. If you read though the messages in MLS on the stake machine, you should find it. Or ask the stake clerk to do it for you.


OK....I was able to obtain the password and I downloaded the virus definitions updates and installed them on the two clerk computers in this building before connecting them to the firewall router. I think these computers are good to go.

Now that these computers are on broadband (1.5 DSL). Will I still need to go around and update the virus definitions quarterly or is there a way to set Symantec to do the updates automatically?

Anything else I need to update on these computers?

Thanks for your good advise.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:41 am

dkcook2 wrote:Now that these computers are on broadband (1.5 DSL). Will I still need to go around and update the virus definitions quarterly or is there a way to set Symantec to do the updates automatically?


That is still the policy. There have been hints that something is in the works to provide automatic updates, but for now the policy is still to update manually. I have sent a message to a contact I have at the Church to see if there is any updated information on the progress with automatic updates.

dkcook2 wrote:Anything else I need to update on these computers?


You didn't mention the Local Unit Security Suite, but I assume you have that in place. In addition to MLS and updated anti-virus software, that's all that is absolutely required.

There are other pieces of software on mls.lds.org under Additional Local Unit Software that you can install if you'd like.

There is a debate about the wisdom and propriety of installing OS and browser updates; some people read the policy to say we shouldn't do that, others say we should. There are several threads on this forum you can search through to find those opinions and draw your own conclusions.

dkcook2-p40
New Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Postby dkcook2-p40 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:14 am

Alan_Brown wrote:You didn't mention the Local Unit Security Suite, but I assume you have that in place. In addition to MLS and updated anti-virus software, that's all that is absolutely required.


Best I could tell the Local Unit Security Suite was in place...I just ran the update which was called http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-SAVCE.html"download the Symantec Antivirus Definition Update"

I'll take a look at the additional software. It looked like most of it was installed previously.

Thanks.


Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest