Stake Centers and Webcasting

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
johnshaw

Re: Stake Centers and Webcasting

Post by johnshaw »

russellhltn wrote:
Mikerowaved wrote:
johnshaw wrote:Just unplug the firewall, and plug the switch directly to the router/modem.
True, that should work for a router/modem combo. Our fiber-portal (modem, if you will) doesn't have a built-in router.
Yes, if I can, I avoid router/modem combos. Just something else to complicate the system.
For the love of all that is holy... please forgive me for using the term router/modem when I truly meant router and/or modem and/or whatever device happens to terminate the ISP at the building. My hope for this board is that anyone reading this should know what is being referred to and should be in a position to either put in place a router when bypassing church equipment that can terminate the ISP (if the ISP is just handing off an ethernet port or wifi Internet connection) or whether taking the existing equipment from the ISP that already terminates the connection and can be configured to provide the network switch with IP's without the church firewall being in the mix. . Since we don't select our own router/modem/firewall's for church buildings I didn't think we needed to provide a position paper on the pros and cons of a router/modem combination and/or why it should or should not be avoided depending on someone's personal opinions.

Sometimes I grow weary of the ticky tack responses of correction that some people believe is their 'reign' on the board.... we probably should close it down like the church wants to.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”