Stake Centers and Webcasting

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:your only practical alternative is to cancel the webcast (from another topic)
Right. And that will happen when the presiding authority cancels the stake conference. [smile]
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:
russellhltn wrote:your only practical alternative is to cancel the webcast
Right. And that will happen when the presiding authority cancels the stake conference. [smile]
Depends on the stake. Perhaps it is possible to hold everything at the stake center. The webcast may avoid long travel or multiple sessions.

It wasn't that long ago that webcasting wasn't an option.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Perhaps it is possible to hold everything at the stake center.
Uh, that is where we hold stake conference. But new stake centers no longer hold entire stakes.

One of the reasons webcasting came about is because several years ago the Church stopped building stake-sized stake centers. For about the last five years, they have built ward-sized buildings with stake offices attached. They never intended for our entire stake to meet in the stake center. We can get a third of our stake into the new stake center if we use all of the rooms.

So webcasting of some sort or other is a requirement any time we hold a stake conference if the entire active membership of the stake is to participate.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Stake Centers and Webcasting

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:
russellhltn wrote:Perhaps it is possible to hold everything at the stake center.
Uh, that is where we hold stake conference. But new stake centers no longer hold entire stakes.
Clearly, a problem if you have a newer stake center. I didn't intend to say that option was available for everyone, but I'm sure there's still many stakes out there with stake centers that functioned before the advent of webcasting.

In that way, I'm fortunate. I've got a monster-sized one. <grin>
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
maplemedic

Post by maplemedic »

Ours is a large one but we can not fit our entire stake population
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Our stake conference is in 2.5 weeks and come rain, shine, Meraki, or AP issues, it WILL get webcast to our overflow building. I've got a couple of home routers on standby that can be put in and the necessary cables on the switches identified to provide internet access ONLY to the sending and receiving PC's in their respective buildings. These are only a few of the several contingency plans I have in place for other issues that may come up. I sure wish I had more faith in our current state of affairs to not have to worry about preparing for the worst.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I plan on bypassing by using the provider router/modem. Just unplug the firewall, and plug the switch directly to the router/modem.

There are configs where a personal router is needed, however, none of my meetinghouses need one.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Hi John! Yes, your stake conference is coming up even quicker than mine. Can't remember who I was talking to about that. (Old age!)
johnshaw wrote:Just unplug the firewall, and plug the switch directly to the router/modem.
True, that should work for a router/modem combo. Our fiber-portal (modem, if you will) doesn't have a built-in router.

Let's hope the resetting procedure will resolve the problem so these measures won't have to be taken.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:
johnshaw wrote:Just unplug the firewall, and plug the switch directly to the router/modem.
True, that should work for a router/modem combo. Our fiber-portal (modem, if you will) doesn't have a built-in router.
Yes, if I can, I avoid router/modem combos. Just something else to complicate the system.

maplemedic

Post by maplemedic »

Crossing fingers and hope that CHQ gets the problem corrected. They could put the old 881s back in. :lol:

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”