Setting up static IPs

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
tlhackett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Setting up static IPs

Post by tlhackett »

russellhltn wrote:One thing that I'm sure is going to throw people off - when that screen comes up, it's set for the "User" network. You can only pick form 192.168.s.s addresses. There's a drop-down list in the upper right where you need to select "SP" if you want to configure the FHC printers (10.x.x.x).
This is something I'd like to address sometime in the future when we get time. I want to show all assigned IPs and their zones so you don't have to remember to switch between the zones. This would give a general overview of everything currently assigned. I'd like to move the zone dropdown list into the form and have it only control which IP addresses get populated in the IP dropdown list.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:
russellhltn wrote:When I checked on the stake computer on Sunday, I saw 24 hours. Which raises an interesting question - I wonder if the 991 IP addresses in the "User" pool is going to be enough for the 5 wards that meet at our stake center? It would be interesting to see the user stats.
I would start looking for a way to reduce the lease times, including calling the GSC if necessary.
To be a problem, I'd have to average 200 devices per ward. I don't think I've seen that kind of usage.

On the upside, I've seen a short lease cause a connection glitch when it's renewed. At least on my home-class router. With a 24 hour lease, that's not going to be a problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tlhackett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by tlhackett »

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote: I would start looking for a way to reduce the lease times, including calling the GSC if necessary.
To be a problem, I'd have to average 200 devices per ward. I don't think I've seen that kind of usage.

On the upside, I've seen a short lease cause a connection glitch when it's renewed. At least on my home-class router. With a 24 hour lease, that's not going to be a problem.
I think you'd start running into AP/network limitations far before you'd see that happening. The APs we use in meetinghouses are not high density APs like you'd see in large businesses or school campuses. High density APs are expensive and the benefits aren't worth the cost in meetinghouses.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”