WiFi

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
Hagothsen

WiFi

Postby Hagothsen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:26 pm

I've been pondering, worrying, and fretting about where to put the single MR33 in our buildings knowing that:

1. Even IF we do get more, it will be awhile before we get them.
2. We're unlikely to get enough to blanket any building in good WiFi, ever.
3. If they come from the FM Group or Stake Budgets, they will be Cisco 702s, rather than more expensive Meraki MR33s.

Then it came to me, why?

Aside from Family History work and instruction, what other legitimate needs do we have for high-speed WiFi? The "Media Playback Overview" at mhtech clearly states, "Meetinghouse Internet should not be relied on for streaming media." So then, what else is there?

Is there ever a legitimate need for WiFi in a chapel that has an ethernet port at or near the pulpit?

Wouldn't we want to focus our resources on one or two rooms with great WiFi coverage, rather than tepid coverage throughout the building?

lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: WiFi

Postby lajackson » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:03 am

Hagothsen wrote:Then it came to me, why?

WiFi is not a requirement. It is a valuable resource to help Church leaders and members fulfill their callings and to help people learn about the Church and share the gospel. I would put it where it will best serve those purposes.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: WiFi

Postby russellhltn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:28 am

Personally, I'd prioritize the locations where leadership meetings are held. I'd follow that by where lessons are held.

While I wouldn't prioritize the chapel itself, sometimes leadership meetings and even classes are held there.

But I'd also work with the FM group in getting them to budget for the needed equipment to reasonably cover the building.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”