Wireless Router configured as WAP

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The PIX 501 only had 10 unless upgraded.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Biggles wrote:We have a Pix 501 firewall, that is limited to 10 licences. On a temporary basis until we can obtain a new firewall, I'm proposing to connect a Tp-Link TL-WR543G wireless router, after the firewall, to connect our FHC and clerks computers onto a subnet seperate from the existing WAP's. I'm working on the assumption that the router will only take up one licence and that all the computers, on this network, will share that licence, leaving the rest available for other users.

Firstly is this viable?
Sure is. In fact, putting your wired FHC and clerk computers on a different subnet will actually protect them a bit better from your building's wireless users. This is how our stake's Family History Center is currently set up. Yes, this is sometimes referred to as double NAT'ing, but modern routers handle this with ease. (If I haven't lost count, the PC I'm typing this on is currently quadruple NAT'ed. :))

In our stake, the Family History Center uses the wireless AP capability of their router just for the FHC, which is kept completely separate from the "regular" church wireless for the rest of the building. I'll describe how to do this, although you may choose to turn off the wireless altogether on this router. It's your choice. If left on, it will be on a different subnet than your building's existing AP's, so you don't want to use the same SSID that they have, or try to use this router's wireless capability to expand their coverage.
Biggles wrote:Secondly what should I set or disable in DHCP etc.?
Reading though your proposed router's User Manual, I can offer the following suggestions:
  • Reset the router back to the factory default settings by pressing and holding the rear RESET button while powering on the router. Wait until the SYS indicator lights up (about 3 seconds), then release the button and wait for the router to reboot.
  • Connect a network cable from a PC to a LAN port on the router and login using the default IP address, user name and password (192.168.1.1 / admin / admin), and begin the "Quick Setup" process.
  • Select AP Router (Not AP Client Router)
  • Select Dynamic IP
  • For Wireless Radio: select Enable
  • For SSID: enter a unique SSID. For example, "FHC".
  • For Channel: try to select one that's at least 2 or 3 channels away from nearby AP's. More channel spacing is better, but not always possible.
  • Select Finish
After the router reboots, it's important to stay logged in (or login again) and make the following changes: (Remember to click Save after making any changes.)
  • Navigate to Wireless --> Wireless Settings and change the Security Type: to WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
  • Enter a secure PSK Passphrase. (This will be your wireless WPA encryption key.)
  • Navigate to System Tools --> Password and change the default password for accessing the router's settings to one of your choosing.
Connect a network cable from a LAN port on the PIX to the WAN port on your new router and you should be good to go. You may have to power cycle the router to get it going the first time. Let us know how it goes.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

KenRichins wrote:FHC computer to use the church portal MUST have a church IP from the PIX they also need a church IP to run landesk in a FHC

In my experience, landesk remote control will not work unless you have a IP from the PIX, but everything else will work.

Aaron Z
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Mikerowaved wrote:

Reading though your proposed router's User Manual, I can offer the following suggestions:
  • Reset the router back to the factory default settings by pressing and holding the rear RESET button while powering on the router. Wait until the SYS indicator lights up (about 3 seconds), then release the button and wait for the router to reboot.
  • Connect a network cable from a PC to a LAN port on the router and login using the default IP address, user name and password (192.168.1.1 / admin / admin), and begin the "Quick Setup" process.
  • Select AP Router (Not AP Client Router)
  • Select Dynamic IP
  • For Wireless Radio: select Enable
  • For SSID: enter a unique SSID. For example, "FHC".
  • For Channel: try to select one that's at least 2 or 3 channels away from nearby AP's. More channel spacing is better, but not always possible.
  • Select Finish
After the router reboots, it's important to stay logged in (or login again) and make the following changes: (Remember to click Save after making any changes.)
  • Navigate to Wireless --> Wireless Settings and change the Security Type: to WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
  • Enter a secure PSK Passphrase. (This will be your wireless WPA encryption key.)
  • Navigate to System Tools --> Password and change the default password for accessing the router's settings to one of your choosing.
Connect a network cable from a LAN port on the PIX to the WAN port on your new router and you should be good to go. You may have to power cycle the router to get it going the first time. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks Mikerowaved, you have confirmed what I thought needed to be done.

I've not had much experience in setting up networks (basically my own and a few friends). So although familiar with navigating router/modem admin interfaces, this is a new area for me. I'm going to attempt this tomorrow (Tues) and will report the outcome either way.

For the benefit of the other forum members who mentioned Landesk. I discovered, whilst re-imaging a FH computer at home (more comfortable/less interruptions and abilty to do it to my own schedule), that all the setup/installation of necessary programs etc. can be done using your own internet connection. The only thing I have not tried, is to use the Church Remote control operation. Be warned though that the Church monitors the IP addresses used.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Here's the update.

I configured the router, at home with the steps supplied by Mikerowed. Installed it at the meeting house and once the relevant computers had been set up. Hey presto they all worked straight away. Talk about Plug & Play. :-)

At the moment there are four FHC and the Stake Clerk computers on this network, which should mean we won't run out of internet access quite so quickly.

Thanks for all your advice Mikerowed.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

An update to the above.

I've now connected all the WAP's through the router. If any problems should occur, it will just be a simple matter of connecting them directly back to the Cisco.

In theory all that is used is one licence!

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”