Cisco Router loses VPN connection

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Techgy,

I think you may have missed jpapke's post #3 in which he said
jpapke wrote:[M]y installations are using a wireless connection to the ISP and the connection is known to become poor or even non-existant during heavy weather[.]
I think he is using a cellular service which is unreliable in some weather conditions. The connections can go down when other RF conditions are present that interfere with the signal.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

DIGIS is a LOS (line of sight) service.
service is available in limited areas of northern Utah and it also appears Boisie, Idaho
a coverage map is available at http://digis.net/coverage/digisgooglemap.shtml/

standard disclaimers apply.
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I took a look at Digis's web site information. From the FAQ section their claims are that weather should not implact service.
Weather will not cause a degradation of service, even in very severe storms.
I would have Digis check their end of the service. This would enclude ensuring there are no problems with antenna alignment (if a directional antenna is used) or obstacles are not pushed into the path between the stake center antenna and the provider's tower during bad weather (trees?). Connections and connectors are notorious for creating issues in wet or windy weather.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

jdlessley wrote:Techgy,

I think you may have missed jpapke's post #3 in which he saidI think he is using a cellular service which is unreliable in some weather conditions. The connections can go down when other RF conditions are present that interfere with the signal.
Oops. Thanks. I noticed that but assumed he was referring to a wireless network inside the building. I'm not familiar with a wireless to the ISP.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There may also be wireless as in satellite. I'm sure that is affected by weather.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:There may also be wireless as in satellite. I'm sure that is affected by weather.

More often than the weather itself, problems are caused by the effects of the weather. High winds will move the receiving dish, snow or ice will change its ability to reflect the signal into the pickup, trees will swing into the line of sight, whether to a satellite or to another transmitter that needs to be "seen". The same thing can be happening at the transmitter dish, as well.

All of the same problems that the regular Church meetinghouse satellite system has that are weather related.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”