Cisco 800 Series firewalls to be replaced

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Cisco 800 Series firewalls to be replaced

Post by Mikerowaved »

yarrgh wrote:We will be moving to Meraki firewalls...
Just so it's clear to our readers, Cisco purchased Meraki in 2012 and decided to keep the Meraki tradename for their line of products, changing it officially to "Cisco Meraki".
yarrgh wrote:One of the biggest is the lack of usage statistics for the new Meraki firewalls. This is temporary. We hope to provide meaningful usage statistics in the future.
That's one of the best features in TM [sniff]. I hope it gets put back in soon.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:
yarrgh wrote:One of the biggest is the lack of usage statistics for the new Meraki firewalls. This is temporary. We hope to provide meaningful usage statistics in the future.
That's one of the best features in TM [sniff]. I hope it gets put back in soon.
Yes, it gives me an idea if the usage is maxing out the ISP.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CleggGP
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CleggGP »

Yarrgh's post is correct. This is part of a two-year project to uplift Church networks by replacing Cisco 800/900 series firewalls with Cisco Meraki firewalls. The focus is on firewall replacement, but some WAPs may be included in the upgrade (depending on existing network configuration). Going forward both Cisco and Meraki WAPs can coexist on the network, and will be managed through Technology Manager.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

The internal WiFi in the Cisco firewall at one of our meetinghouses furnishes WiFi to half the building. Is there something we can do to help our FM Group understand that when our firewall is replaced? Will there be a way to know the timing of when we should mention that to our fine facilities folks?
CleggGP
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CleggGP »

lajackson wrote:The internal WiFi in the Cisco firewall at one of our meetinghouses furnishes WiFi to half the building. Is there something we can do to help our FM Group understand that when our firewall is replaced? Will there be a way to know the timing of when we should mention that to our fine facilities folks?
Based on your description, the FM will likely receive both a Meraki firewall and WAP. Since this will be a long-term project, it is difficult to know when each FM will be contacted. The firewall upgrade process will be easier than the past. Once equipment is received the FM will determine the best means for upgrading each network (by the FM, or via contractor, or via STS).
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

What is happening to all of the old devices?
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

aclawson wrote:What is happening to all of the old devices?
Pure speculation on my part, perhaps they will be passed on to 3rd world countries, similar to what was proposed for the old Wegener satellite receivers?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd speculate that depends on how much service life is left in them. They might be sold or sent to recycling.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

When equipment is replaced in our stake, the FM Group stores the old gear until a company they contract with can come by a pick it up. This company (sorry, I don't know their name) will properly dispose of broken equipment per EPA standards and resell gear that still has usable life. They split the profits of items they've sold with the church, but I'm not privy to the percentages of the split or anything else about the arrangement.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Our FM has replaced a couple of this.... as per my typical experience with that group no communication to the stake that it's going on.... So we did get a replacement Meraki AP and the existing 2 Cisco AP's are still in place. However, I don't seem to have access to cycle the Cisco AP's (enable/disable) them, but I do for the Meraki.... This will start to impact Webcasts if we don't get this quickly solved or figured out.... I do like the ability to reserve IP's that will be really nice.....
Untitled picture.png
(65.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”