Cisco 800 Series firewalls to be replaced

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
Hagothsen

Re: Cisco 800 Series firewalls to be replaced

Post by Hagothsen »

Our Stake Center has only one official external WAP. However we do have a few residential wireless routers to fill the coverage gaps (or at least try to). During Stake Conference, I just bypass the entire firewall, leaving the wall jack I'm using, the only active point in the building. Restoring internet to the rest of the building is only a matter of redirecting two cables.
tlhackett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by tlhackett »

johnshaw wrote:So we did get a replacement Meraki AP and the existing 2 Cisco AP's are still in place. However, I don't seem to have access to cycle the Cisco AP's (enable/disable) them, but I do for the Meraki.... This will start to impact Webcasts if we don't get this quickly solved or figured out.... I do like the ability to reserve IP's that will be really nice.....
We're looking into the issue. Are the APs still working in your building?
johnshaw wrote:I do like the ability to reserve IP's that will be really nice.....
Yes, that is a very cool feature. It allows you to set up devices like printers on a specific IP address without having to change the network settings on the printer. It can stay using a DHCP connection and the firewall will auto assign the static IP to it.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I don't know if the AP's are working, I had no idea the work was being done and I'm out--of-town on business this week... I'll report back after I'm in the building on Sunday.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Hagothsen wrote:Our Stake Center has only one official external WAP. However we do have a few residential wireless routers to fill the coverage gaps (or at least try to). During Stake Conference, I just bypass the entire firewall, leaving the wall jack I'm using, the only active point in the building. Restoring internet to the rest of the building is only a matter of redirecting two cables.
Man.... I'd seriously get the FM to put in more AP's you shouldn't have to jack with commercial stuff... particularly for the Stake Center. Though, believe me, I understand how you can be in that situation with the VARIETY of response from FM to directions from above.

I don't have access to our equipment, I have no keys to the attics, have requested them, and our FM group would rather pay Budget $$ by engaging a company for a service call than allow me access to do something like restart an AP. I guess that's one way to do it. In order to successfully webcast TM must be working for me.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

johnshaw wrote:
Man.... I'd seriously get the FM to put in more AP's...

I don't have access to our equipment, I have no keys to the attics, ...
I recently started a job with a local IT services company who has had great success deploying THESE. I figure four in the regular buildings, and six in the Stake Center would be transformative. At $130 each, it's possible. Despite all the positive reviews, I was suspicious of these things, but when I saw them in the pile of equipment to be deployed at our largest customer, I asked our lead network engineer. He gave them a glowing review.

As for keys, my Stake Clerk has to get involved. I don't have the spiritual pay grade to get anything.
tlhackett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by tlhackett »

Only official access points should be installed at meetinghouses. While you may know how to manage and support other types of devices, if you ever leave or somebody else takes your place, they can no longer manage or support the devices. The Church will not support or manage these devices. Also, your FM group, at their discretion, may remove and dispose of any unofficial device they come across in a meetinghouse.

By using official devices provided by the Church, you guarantee support and anybody with the right authorization can easily manage them via tm.lds.org. If you do not have adequate WiFi coverage in your buildings, talk to your FM group.
tlhackett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by tlhackett »

johnshaw wrote:In order to successfully webcast TM must be working for me.
We believe the issue is now resolved. Please double check your stake and make sure your access points are working correctly.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hagothsen wrote:Our Stake Center has only one official external WAP. However we do have a few residential wireless routers to fill the coverage gaps (or at least try to).
This might be a hold over from when internet was first allowed into buildings. It started off as "It's OK now, but it's all on you and on your dime." The "church supplied" setup came something like a year later.

Then again, it might have been a prior person doing their best to solve the problem and not knowing the proper channels for taking care of it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

The FM group cannot do anything for us, they've told me that directly numerous times. Our FM manager even readily admits he doesn't like taking my calls, or seeing my emails, because he's tired of telling me No!

I'll make sure my Stake President knows of the "next guy" argument when I propose spending Stake funds to improve WiFi. It's my SPs decision to address the problem, not me. I, and many other people just use our cell phone's wireless data if we need wireless internet access. FWIW, during a recent discussion with my SP, I told him I advise we wait and see what happens with the Meraki roll-out. But I want to have a solution ready when history repeats itself and we receive a single WAP.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hagothsen wrote:The FM group cannot do anything for us, they've told me that directly numerous times.
Sort of. FM has to work within a budget and in the short term they may be right. However, I'm not sure what prevents them from putting it in the budget for next year. (And now is probably a good time to start getting those things in.)

If I were in your shoes, I'd suggest the stake president discuss the situation with his upline/area authority when the opportunity presents itself. I'm sure there's many ways it can tactfully be approached. Perhaps "How can we get FM more budget to take care of these things?"
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”