Upgraded network causes wifi to stop working

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
rl_albright

Re: Upgraded network causes wifi to stop working

Post by rl_albright »

Currently the connection speed is 15Mbps down and 3Mbps up, we have on average 300-350 connections on Sunday due to being a stake center and 3 wards meeting.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

WOW that is a lot of devices on one system. Have you checked the bandwidth usage during the day? I would say that the 15 megs is getting saturated with that many devices on the system at the same time, especially if they are downloading updates to the APPS installed on their devices, playing games, checking out Facebook and so forth. So in a way, I'm not surprised that the stake president is having issues.

You may want to see if the FM group can get the bandwidth upgraded to the next level.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rl_albright wrote:Currently the connection speed is 15Mbps down and 3Mbps up, we have on average 300-350 connections on Sunday due to being a stake center and 3 wards meeting.
So, 100Mbs is more than enough - as long as it's really a switch and not a (gag) hub. The bottleneck is going to be with the ISP.

rl_albright wrote:I am not seeing any problems, but my stake president says things are timing out on him on Sundays over the wireless connection. No problems are present on the wired connections, so I was thinking that it was the switch bottlenecking all of the wifi connections, that is why I was upgrading to a gigabit switch.
I'll assume that someone wasn't making a comparison between a busy Sunday on wireless against "afterhours" on wired.

You might want to pull up TM and see if you're saturating the connection.

There's a ton of things that can go wrong on wireless. I don't remember the number, but I've seen the suggestion that there's a limit on how many users can be on a AP. Certainly, you can run into problems with the Hidden node problem. And, I wouldn't rule out church servers being overloaded. That can come and go.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”