Firewall and Modem are not Friends

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Firewall and Modem are not Friends

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote: I turns out that green indicates a 1 Gbps capable device is attached. Amber indicates a 100 Mbps/10Mbps device is attached.
OK, I doubt if the firewall has a 1Gbit WAN port. But it still would be good to verify that it's not dropping to 10Mbps - because that would sure explain a lot.

It might also be worth checking the speed of your switches. Make sure they are switches (not hubs) and they're capable of at least 100Mbps.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

harddrive wrote:so if the laptop is connected to port 1 on the router, you only get 8 megabits/sec and the Family History Center is on port 3 and they are getting 9 megabits, then there is a configuration problem on the router.

Would you be willing to do a show run command on the router and past it here or send me a private message with it. I will compare it to the routers here. It would also be great if you could send us the show interface for Ethernet 1, 3 and 4. This way we can see the reported bandwidth.
I don't know how sensitive the information is, so I will send you a PM in a few minutes.
harddrive wrote:Just thinking that it would be good to get the global service desk involved because if we find the issue on the router, then they will need to be brought into make any changes.
I spent two hours on the phone with the GSC last evening. They successfully helped me reactivate the firewall after I changed provider connections from DSL to Cable. After that, well, that's why I am here today.

I appreciate your help. I'll go build the PM. Thanks.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lajackson wrote:I spent two hours on the phone with the GSC [Wednesday] evening. They successfully helped me reactivate the firewall after I changed provider connections from DSL to Cable. After that, well, that's why I am here today.
What I didn't say here is that the GSC told me the Cisco Firewall was testing normally, and that I should just wait until Sunday and check back to see if everything was okay.

I have never found that something not working fixed itself because I just ignored it for a few days. That, however, is exactly what seems to have happened.

I went in Saturday afternoon to an admin computer and everything was running over 25/3 with no problems. When I came to Church Sunday, everything was again working as advertised.

Therefore, I am happy to report that, due to no fault of my own, the firewall and modem are now friends. I didn't do it. Either the equipment worked out their problem, or someone from the GSC read my feedback and snuck back in while I wasn't looking and made a change. If the latter, I have no idea what they did, because everything still seems the same to me.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

Based on what I saw in the router config, everything looked the same. Sorry that I didn't take time to really dig deep into it. I'm glad that it is working correctly for you.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

harddrive wrote:Based on what I saw in the router config, everything looked the same. Sorry that I didn't take time to really dig deep into it. I'm glad that it is working correctly for you.
Thanks. I noticed that the four Ethernet ports said:

Auto-duplex, Auto-speed
Full-duplex, 100Mb/s
Auto-duplex, Auto-speed
Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, 100BaseTX/FX

Those would all seem to have the same effect, at least to my untrained eye. I suppose if the equipment got hung up on the Auto Auto business and slowed down, I could just move the cable to the Full-duplex port, since they are 0 and 1. So much for being identical, though.

I have decided to exercise faith (a wonderfully precise and technical engineering term) and not draft my "I spoke too soon" or my "Well, we just cancelled the old ISP and guess what happened" posts, since I do not believe I will need them. [grin]

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”