MLS and FHC Internet Connections

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
jltware

MLS and FHC Internet Connections

Post by jltware »

Our stake is in Australia, and outside the area where the local unit internet trial applies. However, I recall reading before this trial even started that units in a building where an internet connection already exists (like a family history center) could with the appropriate permissions and the latest Desktop 5.5 apply to FM to connect their MLS computers to the internet. I can't anywhere find this letter now though, and am wondering if anyone can supply me with a copy of the letter I am referring to, so I can see if there are any other prerequisites that I have forgotten. If I remember rightly, the only requirements were that the units needed to be in the same building as the FHC, needed their computers to be running desktop 5.5, needed the stake president's permission and approval for the access level, and needed to apply through the local FM group to connect through the church's hardware firewall. Can anyone help me out with a pdf of a letter confirming that, or correct me if I'm wrong. We have two units in the same building as an official family history center, and we would love to be able to connect them up, both to speed up the MLS send/receives and to allow leaders to access things like the missionary application website or Temple recommend activation website or local unit website administration from behind closed doors in the clerk's office, instead of waiting for the classes to finish in the family history center. Any official material you can provide me with links to that verify or contradict what I recall would be greatly appreciated.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jltware wrote:Our stake is in Australia, and outside the area where the local unit internet trial applies. However, I recall reading before this trial even started that units in a building where an internet connection already exists (like a family history center) could with the appropriate permissions and the latest Desktop 5.5 apply to FM to connect their MLS computers to the internet. I can't anywhere find this letter now though, and am wondering if anyone can supply me with a copy of the letter I am referring to, so I can see if there are any other prerequisites that I have forgotten. If I remember rightly, the only requirements were that the units needed to be in the same building as the FHC, needed their computers to be running desktop 5.5, needed the stake president's permission and approval for the access level, and needed to apply through the local FM group to connect through the church's hardware firewall. Can anyone help me out with a pdf of a letter confirming that, or correct me if I'm wrong. We have two units in the same building as an official family history center, and we would love to be able to connect them up, both to speed up the MLS send/receives and to allow leaders to access things like the missionary application website or Temple recommend activation website or local unit website administration from behind closed doors in the clerk's office, instead of waiting for the classes to finish in the family history center. Any official material you can provide me with links to that verify or contradict what I recall would be greatly appreciated.
Your recollections are good. See the letter dated 11 Feb 2008 titled Connecting Stake and Ward Clerk Computers to Church Communications Network (CCN) Internet Connections. You can find the letter by following that link, or by going to http://clerk.lds.org and looking in the Letters and Policies section.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The letter omits a few things, but is a good starting point. I believe the prerequisite for Desktop 5.5 (or equivalent) is found in the Desktop 5.5 Instructions which can be found in at mls.lds.org.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”