Internet access in FHC

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
arenui-p40

Internet access in FHC

Post by arenui-p40 »

Aloha,
Here in Hawaii, we have a Family History Center on the Temple grounds. The FHC currently gets its internet feed from BYU-Hawaii, but that connection will be terminated in the near future. My question is if we can tie into the Temple, Visitors Center, and Distribution Center internet connection, or do we as a stake need to find our own ISP? How is it done elsewhere?

We are currently setting up high speed internet in our 3 meeting houses and have ordered and received the firewalls for all three buildings, plus one extra for the FHC.

Any ideas?

Mahalo
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The short answer is dump it on the FM group. They're the ones who get to pay for it. :D

See the Policy Letter

All in all, I'd expect them to tie you into the Distribution center connection since it's close by. The policy is a bit less clear on that since you are in a separate building, but at the same time, I doubt if the church would be happy to pay for separate connections for the same temple site. Any wire that's run will have to be coordinated with the FM group anyway.

If you do get tied into an existing network, I don't think you'll need your firewall.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
LakeyTW

Post by LakeyTW »

RussellHltn wrote:If you do get tied into an existing network, I don't think you'll need your firewall.
That may or may not be a correct assumption. It would depend on whether the network you are connecting accross is filtered and secured with a firewall. Even if it is, there may be other reasons for segmenting the networks with a firewall.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In a church setting, I think it's a safe bet that a properly authorized and installed Internet connection will have a firewall/filter of some kind.

Yes, there are valid reasons to segment and add firewalls, but I think the primary concern here is to prevent accessing inappropriate sites. If anyone else knows of "stacked firewalls" in the church I'd be interesting in hearing about it, but I think by in large it will be one firewall per site.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mrtaz-p40

FM Group says they no long pay Internet

Post by mrtaz-p40 »

Interesting, my stake president received a letter from the FM group saying they are no longer paying for internet access to authorized Family History Centers. I keep asking the FM group for a letter that says there was a policy change and all they will tell me is that the Area office told them they are no longer paying.

Has anyone else heard of this?

james

RussellHltn wrote:The short answer is dump it on the FM group. They're the ones who get to pay for it. :D

See the Policy Letter

All in all, I'd expect them to tie you into the Distribution center connection since it's close by. The policy is a bit less clear on that since you are in a separate building, but at the same time, I doubt if the church would be happy to pay for separate connections for the same temple site. Any wire that's run will have to be coordinated with the FM group anyway.

If you do get tied into an existing network, I don't think you'll need your firewall.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mrtaz wrote:Has anyone else heard of this?
I was talking with my FM group since I posted that and they were telling me the same thing. However in my post above, I referenced a policy letter on the staketech.lds.org, so I'd assume it's current.

I donno. I'd sure want to see a letter saying that. Sure, the stake pays for non-FHC buildings and the costs to connect to the network at the FHC. But I've seen no policy that says the stakes are now responsible to pay for the FHC Internet connection.

mrtaz-p40

Post by mrtaz-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:I was talking with my FM group since I posted that and they were telling me the same thing. However in my post above, I referenced a policy letter on the staketech.lds.org, so I'd assume it's current.

I donno. I'd sure want to see a letter saying that. Sure, the stake pays for non-FHC buildings and the costs to connect to the network at the FHC. But I've seen no policy that says the stakes are now responsible to pay for the FHC Internet connection.
I find this an interesting thing. I did not ask for broadband internet into the Family History Centers, it was installed by the Church. Now I am being told you have to start picking up the tab and no one increased my budget to compensate. I always like it when someone commits money for me when I did not get input into the decision...........

*****Maybe this is the FM groups way of avoiding the need to go to the Federal Goverment for a bailout****** :-)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

When the Presiding Bishopric sent out the 8 August .pdf]Broadband Internet Services in Meetinghouses - U.S. and Canada they sent another notice very similar to the one posted in the Letters and Policiessection of Clerk and Technology Support to area FM Groups. It did say that all internet connections, installs and monthly service fees, where to be paid for by the stake. It included family history centers. I received a copy of that notice from our FM Group Director on 14 November. Unfortunately I deleted the notice a few days after I got it. I asked for that notice again from our FM Group Director. Once I get it I will post it here if no one else beats me to it.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdlessley wrote:It did say that all internet connections, installs and monthly service fees, where to be paid for by the stake.

Interesting. I thought that only applied to meetinghouse internet the stake wished to implement where there was not already a Family History Center.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jdlessley wrote:When the Presiding Bishopric sent out the 8 August .pdf]Broadband Internet Services in Meetinghouses - U.S. and Canada they sent another notice very similar to the one posted in the Letters and Policiessection of Clerk and Technology Support to area FM Groups. It did say that all internet connections, installs and monthly service fees, where to be paid for by the stake. It included family history centers. I received a copy of that notice from our FM Group Director on 14 November. Unfortunately I deleted the notice a few days after I got it. I asked for that notice again from our FM Group Director. Once I get it I will post it here if no one else beats me to it.
Our FM Group Director responded to my request to have the notice resent to me. This is what he said:

We have recently received information that this issue is being looked at again and new updated information is forthcoming.

I will send this to you once it arrives.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”