Wireless/AirPrint printing from iOS and android devices

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
michaelcox

Re: Wireless/AirPrint printing from iOS and android devices

Post by michaelcox »

Are Wards actually having problems with people making tons of copies or print jobs? We have multiple printers setup on network and AirPrint and have never had a problem.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michaelcox wrote:Are Wards actually having problems with people making tons of copies or print jobs? We have multiple printers setup on network and AirPrint and have never had a problem.
I do know in times past copier costs have been an issue. If you have a Sunday School teacher who regularly makes a handout for everyone, the costs can quickly jump. Assuming whatever safeguard you have for the library copier is based on experience, I'd expect similar measures to eventually be needed for network printers.

But I'd say the concern about printing on check stock is very real.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rl_albright

Post by rl_albright »

Looks like my post got lost:

Interesting topic, a LOT of great information. Thank you. So my stake presidency just asked for a printer to be placed in the stake president's office whose SOLE purpose is for printing from their tablets via Airprint. (This device would be privately purchased). I am trying to decide if it is better to put it on LDSAccess or add another AP to the network for their use. (As I regularly shut off wifi for certain events due to conserve bandwidth for streaming, and they have meetings during these events at times [family discovery day, stake conferences, special performances, etc]) The stake offices are behind the rostrum of the chapel so a special access point could provide them network connectivity during stake conference events as needed. As for the printer, I have ended up going with the HP Envy 4520.

As of right now, I do have 2 additional access points on the network that are separate from the church's wifi (with SSID LDSTech), but they ARE behind the church's firewall. The reason I have the secondary network, is we have cameras that we use for stake conference that WILL NOT work with the church's network (They lock up after 5 minutes, go figure.) The access to this SSID is restricted to a handful of people that are directly related to STS functions within the stake. It would not be any trouble to add an additional SSID and AP for the stake offices that was hidden (such as SSID LDSStakeOffice) and restrict it to the stake presidency/high council.

Thoughts?

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”