Can't access ldscatalog.com

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
ericchile-p40
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:12 am
Location: USA

Can't access ldscatalog.com

Postby ericchile-p40 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:53 am

I am unable to access www.ldscatalog.com through the ward house PC. I am able to ping it, and it resolves to the ip address 12.153.160.60 .

Is there any reason I should not be able to access it just like clerk.lds.org?

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:01 am

ericchile wrote:I am unable to access www.ldscatalog.com through the ward house PC. I am able to ping it, and it resolves to the ip address 12.153.160.60 .

Is there any reason I should not be able to access it just like clerk.lds.org?


Are you using the church managed firewall and what access level are you configured for? I remember a comment somewhere where if the "www" was left off that access was granted. You might try that. There's been discussions about ldscatalog.com access before but I believe those issues were related to the firewall and have been resolved.

ericchile-p40
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:12 am
Location: USA

Postby ericchile-p40 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:52 am

Techgy wrote:Are you using the church managed firewall and what access level are you configured for? I remember a comment somewhere where if the "www" was left off that access was granted. You might try that. There's been discussions about ldscatalog.com access before but I believe those issues were related to the firewall and have been resolved.


I don't know the details of the firewall, but I can assume that it is the chuch managed firewall as the only site I can access is lds.org and it's subdomains. Who do I usually contact regarding this stuff?

I tried both http://www.ldscatalog.com and ldscatalog.com and they both don't work. Note that most modern browsers including IE will put a www and a .com on the end before giving up on the request.

Any idea who I go to in regards to this?

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:02 am

ericchile wrote:I don't know the details of the firewall, but I can assume that it is the chuch managed firewall as the only site I can access is lds.org and it's subdomains. Who do I usually contact regarding this stuff?

I tried both www.ldscatalog.com and ldscatalog.com and they both don't work. Note that most modern browsers including IE will put a www and a .com on the end before giving up on the request.

Any idea who I go to in regards to this?


From the description of your problem it sounds like you are using the LDS Restricted firewall. What error message do you get when attempting to access those sites? If the firewall is blocking your access you should see a message that tells you that the site isn't permitted and it will also tell you what access level you're configured for.

LDS Restricted is VERY limited in its access only permitting sites under the lds.org domain. If you wish to broaden your accessability then, with your stake president's permission, the Stake Technology Specialist needs to contact the Global Service desk at 866-678-2763 and request a change in your access level. They will re-script the firewall while you wait :p

ericchile-p40
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:12 am
Location: USA

Postby ericchile-p40 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:21 am

No error code like its blocking it. Just page not found... almost like the webserver on port 80 is being blocked...

But when I telnet www.ldscatalog.com 80 and type get it shows...
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Error</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><H1>Error 501</H1>The request is no
t valid or not recognized "INVALID-METHOD"<P><HR><ADDRESS><A HREF="http://usamt6
3ux01prx/">Edge Components Caching Proxy - International English Edition 6.0</A>
</ADDRESS></BODY></HTML>
Connection to host lost.

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:32 am

ericchile wrote:No error code like its blocking it. Just page not found... almost like the webserver on port 80 is being blocked...

But when I telnet www.ldscatalog.com 80 and type get it shows...
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Error</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><H1>Error 501</H1>The request is no
t valid or not recognized "INVALID-METHOD"<P><HR><ADDRESS><A HREF="http://usamt6
3ux01prx/">Edge Components Caching Proxy - International English Edition 6.0</A>
</ADDRESS></BODY></HTML>
Connection to host lost.


Techgy wrote: LDS Restricted is VERY limited in its access only permitting sites under the lds.org domain. If you wish to broaden your accessability then, with your stake president's permission, the Stake Technology Specialist needs to contact the Global Service desk at 866-678-2763 and request a change in your access level. They will re-script the firewall while you wait :p


Eric,
Are you clicking on a link to ldscatalog.com or typing in the URL directly?
You also didn't answer my question about the access level you're using. In an attempt to discover what access you're using try an experiment and try going to http://www.gambling.com

This is a site that is used by the GSD (global service desk) to check the effectiveness of the firewall. When you attempt to go to this site you should see a blocking message. Part of that message will provide you with the level of access that you're using.

I suggest that your STS (stake technology specialist) be contacted for help. If you are that person then make a call to the GSD and get them involved. As I mentioned in my earlier post, if you are using the LDS Restricted access firewall, you won't be given access to anything except lds.org domains.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?


Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest