New DNS Filtering Policy

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
rsidwell

Re: New DNS Filtering Policy

Post by rsidwell »

I often notice when I look at my Android smart phone during Sunday meetings to check the time that it's busy downloading updates for various apps. I don't know why it chooses Sunday to do that instead of during the week on my home WiFi, nor do I know of any way to disable that "feature". It's beyond my control. But multiply that by a few hundred smart phone users, and I can see it why streaming content is unreliable! I hope the church can find a solution.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rsidwell wrote:I don't know why it chooses Sunday to do that instead of during the week on my home WiFi, nor do I know of any way to disable that "feature". It's beyond my control.
The setting is in the PlayStore. You can go into Settings and turn off auto-updates completely. Or you can go into the My Apps section and go into each app for a setting to disable auto-update for that app. I don't see any settings that allow you to control the schedule - only on/off/wifi only.

But yeah, it's not something I'd expect the general congregation to know. On the flip side, blocking that would block updates to the LDS apps. Not good either. I'm not seeing a good solution short of forcing members wanting to update at church to use their data plan. (Which probably still isn't a good plan.)

While saying that only 25% of the traffic is church sounds bad, I've got one building with a 20 Mbps connection. Between the stake, 3 wards with overlapping schedules, a branch and a FHC - I'm seeking peak usage of 11,172.852 Kbps. The connection doesn't appear to be saturating. But I have another building with a 3Mbps DSL - it's peak usage is 2,915.039 Kbps, and the chart actually shows "flat toping". They're saturating. The second building could use management. But the management is the biggest problem for the first building. IOW, no "one policy fits all" can work in all situations.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

nelsonfam wrote:Youtube.com is still blocked however we are looking at enabling it and forcing the "Restricted Mode" view to limit the amount of questionable content being displayed. PSD has to ensure that videos are categorized correctly and viewable in Restricted mode but this is being explored right now. We want to enable youtube but not all the crap that comes with it.

Google is turning off the Safe Youtube for Schools feature which we were attempting to utilize as well but they are moving away from the "Personalized" service.
That is very good news to hear. I think we are MANY who appreciate to hear both why things are currently blocked but also appreciate to hear that work is going on to find a way to use a service like YouTube for the right content.

Most of my members are excellent at using their tablets to find church videos on church site to use in lessons but since they are hosted on YouTube it is hard for them to understand why they cannot be streamed. I have explained the technical reasons and also the solution of downloading to a stick and that is ok for many of us but certainly not everyone so finding a YouTube solution would be gratefully appreciated and most welcome.

Something else that might be useful would be for the church to perhaps ask the community their thoughts and ideas about upcoming changes so you can capture potential "downsides" and see if "workarounds" can be found.
ccordoba24

Post by ccordoba24 »

Why is Youtube running now? when useful things like Spotify (for stake dances) and pinterest are censored?

By the way we do have a cisco firewall in this building
ccordoba24

Post by ccordoba24 »

Sorry, my apologies. I didn´t read all of the above posts

If you can run youtube without the garbage then all the better.

But Spotify is actually a very useful app for stake dances and most activities, so if t could be time bared or blocked only on Sundays and say Monday, I would think that that would be a better option...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

charly3358 wrote:Spotify (for stake dances)
The way I read it, that's against their Terms Of Service. A church dance is not "personal use".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

Playing music at a public location like a church is considered commercial because it is a public location. You do not need to pay money at a location for it to be considered public/commercial.
ccordoba24

Post by ccordoba24 »

Ok, I'll let them know that. I haven't read the terms. I suppose they will use pendrives with their own music.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Besides, I don't think it's a good idea to run a dance via a streaming service anyway. All it would take is someone passing around the latest video and it could affect the music.

johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

charly3358 wrote:Ok, I'll let them know that. I haven't read the terms. I suppose they will use pendrives with their own music.
Which, BTW, is also questionable
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”