Regional Broadcasting Technology

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
DeeGardiner

Post by DeeGardiner »

Russell,

Good point about the piggy-back cable messing up the impedance. I wondered if it would work at all. I was pleased that it worked better than the RF modulated/demodulated signal. But that is why I bought the piggy-back cable instead of a Y-cable - to keep the stub to minimum length.

There may be unused outputs from the distribution amp, but they are all RF modulated and we need composite to drive the encoder. That is why we picked it up from the VCR output in our original test.

Long term I would like to have a much cleaner solution. Even though the video was tolerable, I wasn't satisfied with it. Before investing in expensive encoder equipment I want to have a much higher quality solution available. In fact I would like a growth path to HD video eventually. We installed gigabit Ethernet equipment in all of our buildings with that long term goal in mind.

I don't know the history of our A/V rack and how it was set up. When we streamed the modulated/demodulated signal in our first test the audio was definitely over modulated. I just turned it down by ear. Perhaps the video is out of adjustment as well, but I didn't know how to adjust that.

Does the church provide support and tuning on that equipment? Or would the stake have to pay for any service call. Who would we contact?

PS - I like your signature statement. I also like a similar one:
"There are three kinds of people. Those that can count and those that can't."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

DeeGardiner wrote:There may be unused outputs from the distribution amp, but they are all RF modulated and we need composite to drive the encoder. That is why we picked it up from the VCR output in our original test.
The distribution amp I was referring to was baseband video - exactly what you want. However, in our system, it's for the satellite signal only. The chapel (camera) feed goes directly to the modulator.
DeeGardiner wrote:Does the church provide support and tuning on that equipment? Or would the stake have to pay for any service call. Who would we contact?
I'm quite certain it falls under the FM group. You'd need to start there. You may be able to get some advice by calling CHQ and asking for satellite support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:I'm quite certain it falls under the FM group. You'd need to start there. You may be able to get some advice by calling CHQ and asking for satellite support.
Satellite support will send you to the FM group if you have not already been there. The FM group is responsible for the satellite components. Satellite support will help FM if they have technical questions.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Satellite support will send you to the FM group if you have not already been there.
I've had them work with me directly in the distant past - even sending me a part (I forget if it was direct or though the FM group). At any rate you may find it easier to initiate some actions though Satellite support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”