Ethernet Cable Installation Standards in FHC's

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
bookwalk

Ethernet Cable Installation Standards in FHC's

Post by bookwalk »

Just having ethernet cable installed to our FHC with a switch and then cable runs to 3 computers and a printer--a small FHC--am surprised to see cable runs going up and down the walls--in a small FHC, it is obvious as the wire conduit does not match the walls--there is nothing else like it in our meetinghouse and thought there should be some conformity with our meetinghouse as to cable runs dropping from the ceiling and going down the walls.

How are other FHC's ethernet cable installations done? We have 4 cables-2 going up and 2 going down, covered with a conduit, but does not blend in with the walls and is quite obvious--seems to distract from the FHC order and "discovery center" standards.

Is this normal? Have debated with FM on this, but nothing changed. What are meetinghouse standards? I don't see this in any other part of the meetinghouse.

Thanks, a FHC Director
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Ethernet Cable Installation Standards in FHC's

Post by russellhltn »

No standard that I'm aware of. If FM is good with it, it's fine. It's their building.

In some cases FM has done it, in others it's been members (hopefully with FM's blessing).

Part of this depends on what kind of walls you have. If they're drywall, it's may be possible (but a bit harder) to run the cable down inside the wall and then to a wall plate. If you have brick or cinder block, there would have to be an existing conduit and electrical box there that isn't occupied by power wiring. It may not be possible to knock a hole in the wall and tread the wire though for hidden wiring, so the last option is a plastic panduit or metal conduit that's on the surface of the wall. The color may not match, but that's what paint is for.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bookwalk

Post by bookwalk »

Thanks--the ethernet cable comes from an inside wall cable with a wall plate, but from there it goes up the wall to the ceiling to a switch box on the other side of the room and then from that switch box back up the wall through ceiling to a computer on the same side of the wall as the wall plate. Seems they could have put the switch box on the same of the wall as wall plate and then run the short run on the floor inside conduit to the other side of wall where 2 computers and a printer need the ethernet. I suppose if they accept what's there now, but as FHC's are doorways to the temple, it seems to me they should be done the best way possible -- implies a permanent eternal gateway vs what looks to me as temporary and more earth-bound.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You may want to talk to the Stake President (for a stake FHC) or the agent Bishop (for a Ward-based one). They have stronger ties to the FM group and appearances.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”