How many access points?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
craiggsmith

How many access points?

Post by craiggsmith »

In all our buildings now we have an 881 firewall and 3 1041 access points. How many do you have and how do you position them? It seems like either 2 or 4 access points would usually be the best number.

First question: all of our buildings have the ward/stake offices at the end of hallways on either side of the chapel. Would you typically recommend 1 access point by each group offices? Or does the signal adequately reach the other side?

Our stake center is a Legacy plan with the firewall in the back corner of the mezzanine. Three access points probably do work well here if they are staggered on each side. We have an additional router for a stake subnet in the stake offices so we don't really need a 1041 that close.

Another building is I believe a Heritage plan with the firewall in the back of the mezzanine, just off center. In this building the contractors put one 1041 right next to the firewall, which is basically useless. I've heard the routers have a lower signal strength although I measured it and they seem about the same. I did read that the access points should be mounted horizontal though and most of ours are vertical so it might help if we change that. In any case if we put two up by the ward offices I'm not sure where to put the third. Coverage would be uneven if we put it on one side. There is quite a bit of HVAC infrastructure between the router and the gym which seems to limit it's coverage in that direction, so it might be ideal to put it over the gym, but not sure if that's possible.

Then we have two slightly older buildings with the firewall in a closet off a classroom in the middle of one side, next to the library/materials center; I don't know what design these are so I'll call them plan B. Is the range of the routers in the closets reduced because they are on the main level? If not, routers on the opposite side on each end would make sense. Currently they put one by each set of ward offices, and one over the primary room, which is in the middle between the gym and relief society room. Currently this does not give us sufficient coverage in the YW room in the far rear corner.

So I thought I would just see what you all have had success with.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
drepouille

Re: How many access points?

Post by drepouille »

My stake center is also the Heritage style, and the FM's contractors also placed a 1041 almost directly below the 881, so they cover the same area -- useless. There is a 1041 inside the stake offices, between the president's office and the clerk's office. However, there is no 1041 close to the three ward clerk's offices on the other side of the chapel. The contractors probably thought it was sufficient to place a 1041 on the other side of the foyer (with a cathedral ceiling). However, I have found that the clerk's computer at the end of the hallway gets a very weak wireless signal.

I really wish the FM had coordinated with me (the STS) before he contracted the work out.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'll let the maps doing the talking. The red circles are the actual placement of the WAP, the mapper got some a bit wrong.

Building 1 is single-floor. Building 2 has a second floor class room area, with a 4th WAP in the middle of the hallway.
Building 1.jpg
(182.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Building 2.jpg
(90.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

We cover one building with the firewall at the rear of the building and two WAPs over each of the foyers.

We do not cover all of another building with four WAPs, but the Primary children at the end of the hall probably don't need WiFi anyway.

I think FM is supposed to figure out how many and where to put them. They have done okay in our buildings so far. I don't think there is a "standard" number of WAPs. Our new stake center came with four, and needs them all.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks everyone. So how did those maps get generated? I heard the church has maps for standard plans with recommended locations but I don't think our contractors have them. Frankly I have to fix (or have fixed) almost everything they do. This gives me some good ideas though.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The floor plan or the heat map? I got the floor plans from FM. The heat map was done with the software listed in the title bar. There is a free version that gives you 15 minutes to sample and store the screen shots.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Both. Interesting tool! Wish they had a version between free and pro. I wonder if our contractors or FM have this or something like it. I've tried to map things out using wifi analyzer on my phone, but it's hard to document and the readings aren't always consistent. Insidder on my laptop was better.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It is an interesting tool, but I do wonder about the results. The map is just for visual reference of where I am when I take the readings. The software doesn't know what the lines mean. The readings are just points in free space. I don't think it has any understanding of "walls". So I do wonder about some of the results.

But it is a cool visual and gives me some confidence that the building is pretty well covered.

StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

I thought I would chime in.
As with most things, the "standard" number of Wi-Fi access points varies. Factors that may affect the number of standard access points include:
  • Area of the World - Outside of the US and Canada, each Area sets their own standards for what is included in a meetinghouse. Inside the US and Canada, those standards are set by MFD, at Church Headquarters.
  • Size of the Building - Larger buildings will need more WAPS to provide coverage
  • Type of Construction - Buildings with older Cinderblock wall need more WAPS
  • Presence of co-located units - Buildings which have sponsored FHC, or Seminary Buildings attached may need additional WAPS. Note that these are determined by the sponsoring department Family History, or CES for example, an not MFD

Suffice it to say there is not a specific standard. Generally, a full size meetinghouse will receive 4 access points (three if the Firewall provides coverage as well). This is usually enough to provide coverage for the Stake, Bishop, and Clerk Offices, as well as the Large teaching areas (Relief Society, Priesthood,and Young Women's Rooms)
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

I currently have 6 buildings in my stake. The last building was probably built in mid to late 1980's, so I can tell you the floor plan style. The stake center and one other building are all concrete block and two of them are a combination of concrete block and stick. One building is all stick and the final one is a converted baptist church. Our last one, which is being built is stick, but using metal studs.

All my buildings have an 881W so that counts for one. Then in the stake center I have 4 WAPS one at each corner, in another building I have 3. Two other buildings have 2 and one has 1, but thinking about adding one in that building. The baptist church building only has the 881W in it.

So it depends on the building and where you can get the most bang from your buck.

Terry

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”