YouTube over meetinghouse wireless connection

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
drepouille

YouTube over meetinghouse wireless connection

Post by drepouille »

This may be a well-known problem, but it is new to me. My wife, the FHC director, wanted to use her laptop to play some YouTube videos for a class in the FHC on Wednesday night. She found that she could not access any of the videos on her laptop using a wireless connection.

For example, trying to use Chrome to access www.youtube.com/user/FamilySearch returns "Not Found. The requested URL /user/FamilySearch was not found on this server." Internet Explorer likewise returns an HTTP 404 error.

When I disabled her wireless adapter, and connected an Ethernet cable, it worked perfectly. I now remember that I upgraded the firewall a week or so ago, so the wireless connection is using a different path than the wired FHC connection on port 2. Is that the problem? Has the Church blocked YouTube on the 192.168.x.x IP addresses?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: YouTube over meetinghouse wireless connection

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:Has the Church blocked YouTube on the 192.168.x.x IP addresses?
I believe so.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

drepouille wrote:I now remember that I upgraded the firewall a week or so ago, so the wireless connection is using a different path than the wired FHC connection on port 2. Is that the problem? Has the Church blocked YouTube on the 192.168.x.x IP addresses?
I know the church has traditionally used the least restrictive filtering option for FHCs to allow them greater access to the Internet. From your description, it appears they might be continuing this with a different set of filter rules for the FHC and general access ports. Interesting. We don't host an official FHC, so I can't test this.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

mikerowaved wrote:
drepouille wrote:I now remember that I upgraded the firewall a week or so ago, so the wireless connection is using a different path than the wired FHC connection on port 2. Is that the problem? Has the Church blocked YouTube on the 192.168.x.x IP addresses?
I know the church has traditionally used the least restrictive filtering option for FHCs to allow them greater access to the Internet. From your description, it appears they might be continuing this with a different set of filter rules for the FHC and general access ports. Interesting. We don't host an official FHC, so I can't test this.
We have a FHC and I can confirm that these are the results to be expected!
tlhackett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by tlhackett »

If your firewall has been upgraded and your FHC is an official FHC and is plugged into port 2 of the firewall, you should be allowed to get to youtube. You should be on 10.xx.xx.xx IP addresses instead of the 192.168.xx.xx that the rest of the building should be on
moonman239

Post by moonman239 »

Mikerowaved wrote:
If YouTube was blocked, then shouldn't Chrome have said it couldn't connect to the server?

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”