MH wireless enable/disable feature available in Tech. Mgr

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: MH wireless enable/disable feature available in Tech. Mgr

Post by lajackson »

When we have this problem, a reboot of the firewall usually solves it. If it does not, the Global Service Center runs a script on it and the problem is solved.

A related problem is that the internal WiFi in the 881W often quits. If that is the case, the GSC has a script for that, also. When the GSC script no longer works, it is time to ask the FM Group for an external WiFi access point to fill in the gap if the internal WiFi on the router was being used to service a corner (or half) of the meetinghouse.

But the WiFi Enable/Disable button should work on the internal firewall WiFi as well as the remote access points.
johnshaw

Re: MH wireless enable/disable feature available in Tech. Mg

Post by johnshaw »

aclawson wrote:Helpful tip: sometimes a presenter relies on an internet connection for their presentation. They shouldn't but sometimes they do.
I think you're talking about streaming a video, I don't every have a problem with a presenter who is showing, for example, LDS.org websites, the online tools members use, etc... I just always make sure that the presenter has the internet and I don't care about anyone else in the congregation.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Not even streaming video - sometimes they keep their powerpoint presentation or other materials stored on the cloud instead of locally.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I've never operated under the assumption that the Internet is not to be used for successful presentations. If it is required, I will make it available. Streaming is my only exception. BTW, I'm talking about more special presentations where you would be disabling or enabling wireless - This isn't something you would normally do on a given Sunday where multiple wards meet in a building. Standard good Sense applies in my estimation. With the exception of Steaming - I haven't had too much trouble with online presentation even with my 7 meetinghouses at 1.54Mbps download rates.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

It becomes a problem when you want to shut off the wifi because you have 400 clients simultaneously attempting to use the same, single access point.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

I'm wondering why that's a problem? I've only had to disable wifi once and when I did, I made a short explanation announcement? Not one person queried or complained.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

It is a problem if and only if you have to disable the wifi and somebody is giving a presentation of material that is from the internet and their only usable connection is the WiFi.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Makes sense. The standard recommendation seems to be download the material beforehand, for whatever purpose. Because if you have no internet, then you have no presentation!
ccordoba24

Post by ccordoba24 »

What exactly is happening? Is the unit just ignoring your command, or are you unable to issue the command?
I now see the button but it ignores me..doesn't like maybe :D ... SP prefers it disabled during weekday youth activities..
CleggGP
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CleggGP »

charly3358 wrote: I now see the button but it ignores me..doesn't like maybe :D ... SP prefers it disabled during weekday youth activities..
The issue was solved by the Global Service Center re-scripting the firewall. Afterwards the internal wireless AP appeared in TM and the WAP successfully registered with the a wireless controller. The key was getting the WAP to register with the wireless controller. Now the Technology Manager "Enable/Disable All Wireless Access Points" buttons can disable/enable the wireless AP.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”