New Wireless Network found in building

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
jspector

New Wireless Network found in building

Post by jspector »

Yesterday, I found a new wireless network in our building "LDSConnect-SR-KL." Is this related to the recent firewall configuration changes? No one at FM or STS seems to know about the new network. They made the firewall changes already.

Any clue? We have no automated facilities function or a FHC in the building.

Thanks,

Jeff Spector
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New Wireless Network found in building

Post by russellhltn »

jspector wrote:Yesterday, I found a new wireless network in our building "LDSConnect-SR-KL."
News to me. The two initials makes me suspect a phone configured as a hotspot.

You might check again when the building is empty.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

jspector wrote:Yesterday, I found a new wireless network in our building "LDSConnect-SR-KL." Is this related to the recent firewall configuration changes?
Nope. My guess would be a rogue AP someone put up for their own purposes. I would hunt it down and pull the plug on it. You can use an app like WiFi Analyzer to sniff it out.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mikerowaved wrote:My guess would be a rogue AP someone put up for their own purposes. I would hunt it down and pull the plug on it. You can use an app like WiFi Analyzer to sniff it out.
If it's connected to the building's network, I'd first check the clerk and bishop's offices. Then go find the switch (that hopefully you've labeled) and see what wired jack is "active" that shouldn't be. (Note that many computers will have an "active" connection even when powered off - as long as there is power to their AC cord.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”