Insignificant IP weirdness

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
aclawson

Insignificant IP weirdness

Postby aclawson » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:45 pm

A stake center that contains an FHC has been given the firewall update. The tm.lds.org data page is incorrect and reports as follows:

ZONE : VPN
GATEWAY : x.x.x.1
DYNAMIC : x.x.x.2 - .254
DYNAMIC : 253
STATIC : x.x.x.2 - .16
STATIC : 15

The static range overlaps the dynamic range.

The USER zone appears normally.

I called GS and was told that even though the page says they overlap it won't actually assign dynamic addresses within the static range and that I just shouldn't worry about it.

Interestingly, when I click the connected devices gear I see two devices listed - both of which are printers, both of which are turned off. What I DON'T see is the printer that is always on (and is indeed turned on as I type).

I'll give it some time - maybe everything will settle down eventually and resolve itself.

aclawson

Re: Insignificant IP weirdness

Postby aclawson » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:35 pm

Days later the tm.lds.org page remains unchanged - so this is a bug in the process that will be resolved sometime between soon and never but for now does not appear to be causing any problems.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:39 pm

aclawson wrote:DYNAMIC : x.x.x.2 - .254
DYNAMIC : 253
STATIC : x.x.x.2 - .16
STATIC : 15

The static range overlaps the dynamic range.

I see the same thing.

aclawson wrote:Interestingly, when I click the connected devices gear I see two devices listed - both of which are printers, both of which are turned off. What I DON'T see is the printer that is always on (and is indeed turned on as I type).

I haven't seen that myself, but then I haven't looked for it. What I did see, and was surprised to see it, was it listed a printer that had a static IP. I'm not sure how it's collecting that information since I wouldn't expect the DHCP to be involved.

I'm pretty sure TM caches information, and the firewall itself may take some time before it realizes that something has been turned off or has wandered out of range.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

CleggGP
Church Employee
Church Employee

Postby CleggGP » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:42 pm

aclawson wrote: ...The static range overlaps the dynamic range [in the Special Purpose Zone].

This is a reported TM anomaly that will be fixed in a future release.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”