Extending Wireless Network.

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
ezizzi

Extending Wireless Network.

Post by ezizzi »

In my meeting house, the Wifi does not extend to the classrooms which is a big problem trying to fulfill the 'Come Follow Me' curriculum. I have a couple of Lynksys Wireless extenders, but these are not working as expected. I can get more technical if needed, but I am more questioning if the Cisco 885 Router does a "rogue" detection and black hole additional Wifi devices?

The router acts like it is dropping out the devices actively since I can get them to connect for a few minutes. The behavior is definitely indicative of active blocking.

Any thoughts? Thanks all!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Extending Wireless Network.

Post by russellhltn »

The right way to fix this is for the STS to work with the FM group to get additional APs set up to cover the area.

Range extenders tend to work best with their own brand. One thing that is set up is that the APs will change channels based on the amount of congestion of the current channel. So a range extender could encourage the AP to change channels.

Also, please note, it is recommended to download any videos and not try to play them over the network. The church has not promised that their servers can handle the Sunday load. This is on top of the ISP's ability to maintain rated speed and everything else that could cause a video to buffer while showing it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CleggGP
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CleggGP »

russellhltn wrote:The right way to fix this is for the STS to work with the FM group to get additional APs set up to cover the area.
This is the right thing to do. The new Cisco model 702i wireless access point is available for FMs to order. The 702i simultaneously broadcasts dual-band (2.4/5.0 GHz) signals, and is an excellent device for meetinghouses.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

That's good to know. I had assumed the 1041n WAP used 802.11n and 5.0 GHz until I saw with insider that it was only using 2.4GHz channels.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

Sometimes the FM Group just won't add more WAPs. We've had luck getting old wireless routers, configuring them as WAPs, and connecting them to the local network using powerline Ethernet adapters.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ulupoi wrote:Sometimes the FM Group just won't add more WAPs.
Have they said why? I can understand budget concerns and how such things may have to wait for the following year, but I can't understand denial. That would be a conversation between the stake president and FM.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”