Chromecast not connecting to the internet

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
david.north

Chromecast not connecting to the internet

Post by david.north »

I have been unable to connect a Chromecast device to the internet on our stake center WiFi network. We have tried with two different Chromecast devices.

Has anyone successfully connected a Chromecast device to the internet on WiFi on a local meetinghouse network?

The message we get during setup is "LehiYSAStake_NMC connected to LDSAccess, but can't access the internet." and "Check that your internet connection is working
Otherwise, run the Chromecast app to choose a different network."

We have two networks in our building - one supporting LDSAccess and a "private" second network for our stake suite and 8 bishopric suites. We get the same error on both networks.

Is this something being filtered or otherwise blocked on the firewall?

David
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Chromecast not connecting to the internet

Post by Mikerowaved »

david.north wrote:Is this something being filtered or otherwise blocked on the firewall?
The answer is yes. Chromecast is configured to communicate using Google´s own DNS servers of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, however, a recent upgrade to the church firewall prevents using any DNS server other than the ones specified by the church. (This is required for their content filtering.) I don't know if the Chromecast setup can be changed to use the church's DNS as specified by the DHCP server (8.34.34.92, 8.35.35.92), but that would be the only way to get it to connect to the Internet through a church firewall.

[EDIT:] I just read that due to the simplistic nature of the Chromecast device, there isn't an option to change the network settings outside of choosing which wireless network you’d like to connect to and entering the wireless credentials. Because of this restriction, it cannot connect to the Internet through a church firewall.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
david.north

Post by david.north »

Thanks for the quick reply!

The DNS addresses cannot be changed on a Chromecast at this time. Just verified that. Bummer.

I'll contact the church network team on Monday to see if a static route that loops 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 ala Unlocator type routing.

David
cdminer

Post by cdminer »

Please follow-up to let us know your progress in finding a viable option to get a Chromecast working properly behind the meetinghouse firewall. I am facing the same issue myself.

I assume that modifying the iptables so that requests sent to Google's DNS servers are rerouted to the Church's DNS servers should do the trick (assuming the desired URLs aren't blocked). However, we obviously can't implement that ourselves and must rely on the GSC.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Any word on this?

I hope a solution can be found - last year during tithing settlement I used my chromecast to put up MoTab and various video onto a TV set in the foyer to help keep people occupied as they waited in their settlement queue and I was planning to do the same thing again this year.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aclawson wrote:Any word on this?
There really isn't a solution. Chromecast must have DNS access to 8.8.8.8 (or 8.8.4.4) to operate from the Internet, but the firewall forbids any device to have DNS access to those servers. Since neither device can be user configured, they are at an impasse.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jsorens6

Post by jsorens6 »

aclawson wrote:Any word on this?

I hope a solution can be found - last year during tithing settlement I used my chromecast to put up MoTab and various video onto a TV set in the foyer to help keep people occupied as they waited in their settlement queue and I was planning to do the same thing again this year.
I'm with you, I have been using the Chromecast every week in our ward council and pec meetings for the last few months to share short videos from the various church sites, hasteningthework.lds.org, youth.lds.org, etc. It's been a great tool for us.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Is Roku similarly blocked?

And worse comes to worst I'll just turn my phone into a 4G hotspot and stream off of that. Not as convenient, but you do what you have to do.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aclawson wrote:Is Roku similarly blocked?
I mentioned Roku in my previous post, but I meant Chromecast. My post is now corrected.

Yes, Roku boxes (at least the ones I've seen) also have a DNS setting that can't be changed by the user.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'll have to poke around in my Roku, but what I'm reading via a search is that the secondary is hard-wired. Perhaps the primary can be set?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”