Configuring WAP with ASA 5505 Firewall

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
davelane

Post by davelane »

Mikerowaved wrote:Things to try (please forgive me if some are rather basic):

• Verify the WAP is running firmware Version 2.0.7.
  • Verify the WAP's IP address is either assigned via DHCP, or fixed in next the 5 addresses above the ASA's address.
  • Verify the WAP's subnet is 255.255.255.224
  • Verify the WAP's gateway is pointing to the ASA's IP address
  • Verify if the wireless PC is receiving an IP address from the ASA when connected to the WAP
  • Let us know if the SSID is identical to SSID's in other buildings the wireless PC may have recently connected to.
  • If so, let us know if the WPA keys used in both buildings are the same or different.
  • What happens if you turn off all security on the WAP, (WEP, WPA, ACL, etc.) and allow "open" access?
  • Let us know if the wireless PC is connecting with the Microsoft driver, or that of the wireless vendor.
  • Instead of trying to browse, what happens if you try to PING the ASA's IP address?
  • If so, what happens if you try to PING www.yahoo.com?
Just curious, are you running the WAP with the power brick, or using PoE?

Mike

This was an excellent checklist. In my experience some of the most challenging problems have had very simple solutions. After going through thes items, I disabled the encryption on the WAP. I was immediatly able to connect and browse. I then enabled encryption with all the same settings and pass phrases and everything seems to work fine. I am guessing that the ASA could not reconize and grant IP addresses with encryption on. FYI the WAP is connected via PoE.
I am very greatful for the assistance provided here. THANK YOU
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Glad to hear you got it working. :)

Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

DaveLane wrote:I disabled the encryption on the WAP. I was immediatly able to connect and browse. I then enabled encryption with all the same settings and pass phrases and everything seems to work fine.
It will be interesting to see if it continues to work after cold-booting everything.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”