Reserved IP address for network printer?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
kylehart

Reserved IP address for network printer?

Post by kylehart »

Do the standard church firewall/routers support this?

How would one do this?

Would I need to send the request (and perhaps instructions) to the stake tech spec to set this up? Or should a ward clerk have access?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Reserved IP address for network printer?

Post by russellhltn »

kylehart wrote:Would I need to send the request (and perhaps instructions) to the stake tech spec to set this up?
Yes, that's what I'd recommend. The STS can log into tm.lds.org and it will show him the range of IPs that can be statically assigned. And someone needs to keep track of all the static assignments on the network.

I don't see ward clerks as being on the access list for tm.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:I don't see ward clerks as being on the access list for tm.
Unless something has changed in the last couple of months, ward clerks do have at least read access to tm and can see the IP ranges.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
kylehart wrote:Would I need to send the request (and perhaps instructions) to the stake tech spec to set this up?
Yes, that's what I'd recommend. The STS can log into tm.lds.org and it will show him the range of IPs that can be statically assigned. And someone needs to keep track of all the static assignments on the network.

I don't see ward clerks as being on the access list for tm.
It really doesn't matter whether a ward clerk can see the static IP ranges. This is clearly a job for the STS, because there has to be one central list of which static IP addresses are used by which devices. I suppose that once the STS has designated which IP address is to be used for a particular device, a technically competent ward clerk might set the IP for that device, but the list has to be centrally managed by the STS, or chaos could ensue.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

eblood66 wrote:
russellhltn wrote:I don't see ward clerks as being on the access list for tm.
Unless something has changed in the last couple of months, ward clerks do have at least read access to tm and can see the IP ranges.
As a branch clerk I can confirm that ward/branch clerks do have limited access to TM. But as aebrown has pointed out the static addresses available information provides little assistance to a ward/branch clerk since he does not know which static addresses have been assigned to other devices. The STS needs to be involved either directly or at least assign the address or there could be problems.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”