Disabling Wireless

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
drepouille

Re: Disabling Wireless

Post by drepouille »

At one meetinghouse, the tech had run two cables from the 881W to the switch. At first, I thought he must know something about networking that I didn't know, but it turned out that he just messed up.
I work very closely with our FM and his office assistant. She lives in my stake, as does the FM guy who maintains the Winter Quarters temple. So it's "who you know" that is important.
As for DSL, we are starting to have problems with older DSL modems, and I have had to replace a couple of them. In general, any networking equipment over 5 years old should be considered for replacement, IMHO.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Someone in a position to know at the church told me Friday that the official guideline for webcasting was to bypass the firewall in order to be able to disconnect all other web traffic, and that this is on clerksupport. There is a lot of stuff there now but I couldn't find anything about this. It's not all extremely well organized though so maybe I missed it. Can anyone find anything?

I only found the following:
All other traffic should be disabled but no instructions on how.
Nothing should be connected directly to the modem except the firewall.
We can have the GSC disable wireless permanently but not temporarily.
Removing the antennas doesn't do that much (but I've found it does OK).
The new ones don't have antennas.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:Someone in a position to know at the church told me Friday that the official guideline for webcasting was to bypass the firewall in order to be able to disconnect all other web traffic, and that this is on clerksupport. There is a lot of stuff there now but I couldn't find anything about this. It's not all extremely well organized though so maybe I missed it. Can anyone find anything?
I looked around in the webcasting area, and all I found was "Meetinghouses with broadband Internet must have a meetinghouse firewall properly installed and configured."
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

craiggsmith wrote:Someone in a position to know at the church told me Friday that the official guideline for webcasting was to bypass the firewall...
I was told this same thing by the head of the meetinghouse webcast group, except he told me the policy was "unofficial, but highly recommended, in order to ensure the greatest chance of a successful webcast."
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jasonhill23
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jasonhill23 »

I will work to get more information on the proper procedures and best practices to maintain your buildings' bandwidth capacity during a webcast event. It is true that members using their phones and other mobile devices to access the internet via the buildings' WiFi will degrade the quality of the webcast. Unless you have been given specific instructions on the proper method for disabling the wireless router and reconnecting it, you should refrain from doing so. In the case that you have been properly instructed to disable the wireless router, you should consult your Stake President and obtain his approval before disabling the wireless router for any reason.
Some STSs have had reasonable success in posting signs in the lobby of the building asking members to not use their wireless devices during broadcast. This approach, is obviously not very effective in every situation; however, it may help. If you do post signs, or make announcements, ensure that the Bishop and/or Stake President is aware of and approves any communication being posted or announced.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”